Silkie Chick amoung other breeds.

PrincessLayer16

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
Hey all!

We have 8 chicks, 5 Easter Eggers, 2 Sapphire Olive Eggers and a Silkie.
They are all 2 weeks or less. The Olive Eggers being thr youngest at one week old.
When I saw a local silkie, I had to have it, however I probably should have researched more before jumping the gun.

Our sweet silkie, Midnight, is doing well, but at times seems lonley. We do have a couple easter eggers that cuddle up with her (i know its early to know gender, but we call her a girl) and we give her extra cuddles, but I'm wondering if the isolation is because she is the smallest in the brooder?

My question is.... is she going to be okay being the smallest chicken amoung the others? We also have 7, one year old hens that she will eventually be with.

Am I being selfish by keeping her? Would adding another silkie chick help her?

I really just want the best for all our chickens.

Below is a picture of her. She is absolutely precious.
20230329_135913.jpg

It is probably not just because she is the smallest but she is different. It is NOT a good idea to keep just one in a flock or normally feathered birds. You should either sell her or get two more so she has company and they can stay in their own little sub-flock. IF YOU HAVE SPACE FOR IT.

I agree with DobieLover. I don’t think it has anything to do with the silkie’s size. I brood bantams in with large fowl on a regular basis. Without much issue. Your silkie may just have a standoff personality. The only silkies that I had to be careful about being with other breeds. Had very large crest and beards that greatly impaired their ability to see. I had a non-bearded silkie hen. That was a boss hen, while in a mixed flock with larger breeds. As long as the other chicks are not being bullies. I would let the situation play out a little more. Before separating, adding another or getting rid of your silkie.

It is probably not just because she is the smallest but she is different. It is NOT a good idea to keep just one in a flock or normally feathered birds. You should either sell her or get two more so she has company and they can stay in their own little sub-flock. IF YOU HAVE SPACE FOR IT.
Thank you for the advice! Seems we have a lot to think about.

I agree with DobieLover. I don’t think it has anything to do with the silkie’s size. I brood bantams in with large fowl on a regular basis. Without much issue. Your silkie may just have a standoff personality. The only silkies that I had to be careful about being with other breeds. Had very large crest and beards that greatly impaired their ability to see. I had a non-bearded silkie hen. That was a boss hen, while in a mixed flock with larger breeds. As long as the other chicks are not being bullies. I would let the situation play out a little more. Before separating, adding another or getting rid of your silkie.
Thank you for the advice! She isn't really bullied, she gets pushed around a little only because the others are a lot faster. She still eats, drinks and scratches around with them, no problem.

Some people have flocks where lone silkies and polish get relentlessly bullied and some, like mine, end up working out really well. I have a lone polish in my mixed flock and I had a lone silkie (she passed 2 months ago) who was second in the pecking order among both standard and bantam breeds. My polish gets along great with the others. I also have 2 tiny D’uccles in my mixed flock. It probably helps that I have a lot of space for them and within their space I have plenty of perching spots, and clutter where the chickens can get away from each other if they need to. All of my chickens are also either different breeds or different color variations of the same breed, not one chicken looks alike so perhaps they get along because everyone is already so different 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’d probably get her a couple more silkie friends, maybe some other cute bantams like the D’uccles…

Some people have flocks where lone silkies and polish get relentlessly bullied and some, like mine, end up working out really well. I have a lone polish in my mixed flock and I had a lone silkie (she passed 2 months ago) who was second in the pecking order among both standard and bantam breeds. My polish gets along great with the others. I also have 2 tiny D’uccles in my mixed flock. It probably helps that I have a lot of space for them and within their space I have plenty of perching spots, and clutter where the chickens can get away from each other if they need to. All of my chickens are also either different breeds or different color variations of the same breed, not one chicken looks alike so perhaps they get along because everyone is already so different 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’d probably get her a couple more silkie friends, maybe some other cute bantams like the D’uccles…
Thank you! We have a variations of chickens. Barred Rocks, Buff Orpington, Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen's. The new chicks are Easter Eggers, and Sapphire Olive Egger. So, lots of variety. I'm praying we can find a way to make it work, as we are already in love. My husband is adding an additional 100 sqft to our existing run. So there will be lots of space, plus, some free range time daily.

Back
Top Bottom