Silkie chick color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Minniechickmama, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have a Silkie chick that I hatched out of my own small but growing Silkie pen. It is almost a creamy color, not really white, not buff. Here are the adults in the pen:
    Roos: Partridge and Blue
    Hens: Black, Splash and Partridge

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help is appreciated.
    I understand that this may not be a 'real' variety, but I am trying to learn this stuff better.

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    it white look at the wing feathers the rest bird well do that to as if feather out

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Looks like what my whites turn out to be. I also cross a Partridge roo over white, blue and black hens and get whites, blues and blacks.

4. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have no Whites in that pen, that is the odd thing. Also, I have raised White and this is too creamy to be a solid White.

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:i get white this color all the time out of my partridge just grow it out and see it be white

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Most likely carries gold gene; it is a white. I hatched a chick that was a pale yelllow until her last molt to adult feathers, which were white; up until then there was always a pale yellow to the feathers. I have a similar one, right now.

Since adding paints to my flock, I am getting chicks with yellow down; with the exception of Goldielocks (mentioned above), I had never hatched a chick with yellow down, except buffs, which are much more golden in colouring.

White in silkies is almost always recessive, meaning that if both parents carry a copy, it is hidden, and you have no way (ther than breeding records) to know it is or might be there. But when the two carreirs of hidden white genes get together, POOF! all of a sudden you can get white chicks when the hidden white genes pair up.

7. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Suze, Thank you. You are always good and thorough.
    I understand it more now.
    What was the name of the book you said to get again on color genetics?

Oh, the other thing on this chick was the light blue hue to the feathers toward its back end.

So, White can pop up and not just always blend. That is good to know. I have gotten to understanding more about breeding rabbits and so that kind of thing is not so difficult to understand.

As for that JG question, I got in touch with someone who is breeding brown red Cochins and he started the whole thing accidentally by using a very dark, shiny black roo over a white hen and the result was a brown red. He has built a flock of brown reds with them as their base. If these two chicks are something I can start a strain like that with, that is what I am really trying to find out. If that one has a rosecomb for some weird reason, I just won't use it, I was more concerned with finding out if the Black over White works the same in JGs as it did for the Cochins.

I am waiting to see what the end color is of some Silkie roos over my two Buff Sebright hens. They hatched out with White down and black spots. They have the 5 toes, black skin but the rest of the feathering is more like the Sebrights and not top knot so far. Just had to let a broody hatch something so she would get off the nest! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by