Silkie chick puffy and standing around, weird neck movement

EmiliaM

Chirping
Jan 5, 2019
Hi there,

I’ve read dozens of threads about silkies with similar issues and lots of different outcomes. Feeling nervous and had to start yet another one...

This is a 7.5 week old silkie. She (I think it’s a she) has never been outside my house or interacted with chickens other than the chicks who hatched with her. As of this morning, all the others are fine.

After I changed their bedding yesterday, I noticed this one was unusually still, puffy, and making a weird neck movement (droopy, with sort of a tick or small seizure-like movement, and also the one where it looks like they’re nodding off and they catch themselves). I have treated wry neck successfully before in another batch of chicks, and though her head wasn’t hanging all the way down, it did seem like it could be the beginning of wry neck?

Yesterday she only wanted to sit, although she could stand and walk (she would do so to walk a bit to get to her crumbles or scrambled eggs, and she would climb up from my lap to my shoulder or my neck.) She is eating and drinking, can flap her wings, and can perch on my arm (although she won’t hop off even just inches from the ground).

I put her in her own warm box and started her on the wry neck protocol I found here and used successfully before (vitamin E with selenium, vitamin B drops, and prednisone — just 1 mg because she’s small). This morning she is better, choosing to stand rather than sit, and I haven’t seen the neck motion, but she’s still standing in that sick chick position, puffy, and like she’s sleeping standing up.

Poops are normal, no signs of respiratory infection. I immediately started freaking out about Marek’s when I saw the head thing and the sitting. It would have had to come in on my clothes from the feed store or the older chicken’s pen (which is in another town, and where no chickens have shown any weird symptoms). I have read enough about Marek’s to know both of those are entirely possible, though. Hoping it’s something else.

The chicks get medicated start and grow, egg yolks every few days, spinach leaves to chomp on occasionally, and chick grit is available. Every other day’s water bowl has a few drops of Nutridrench, ACV, or a probiotic supplement rotated in.

She is small with a vaulted skull, and definitely lower on the chick pecking order, so a peck to the head is entirely possible.

I know I’m possibly going too far using the prednisone, but I have also experienced how much easier it is to catch wry neck early rather than late, so I went for it.

I was planning to move the chicks to an outdoor coop (with a heat lamp since I’m in the northeast) this weekend, but now I’m thinking I should wait another week. This one, at least, needs to stay inside.

Am I missing anything? Anything else I should try? If you even read this far, thank you, I appreciate any advice
5136E01D-F12B-4790-8C0F-20FC2BBD6A03.jpeg
or moral support!

Oh darn, I thought spinach was supposed to be good. I threw them some leaves this week since they’re cooped up inside and don’t get to try grass or any other green things. Do you think that has caused an issue?

Oh darn, I thought spinach was supposed to be good. I threw them some leaves this week since they’re cooped up inside and don’t get to try grass or any other green things. Do you think that has caused an issue?
Too much extras can be an issue. Feeding feed is the best balance and once or twice a week a cucumber or apple slices is good.

How is her crop feeling? Is it empty, slightly full, soft, doughy, or puffy? Sometimes food in the crop can cause some odd neck movements. A video of her odd neck movements posted to YouTube with a link posted here would be helpful.

What do her poops look like? Lethargy, sleepiness, standing around puffed up, and poor appetite are signs of possible coccidiosis. Amprollim or Corid from a feed store can treat for that, and is safe for the others. Dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5 days.

Her poops look okay to me, but I’ll attach a picture. Maybe a little small? If I try Corrid, is it okay to keep them on medicated feed, or should I swap out for unmedicated?

I feel really clueless about crops and I’m never really sure how to evaluate them. Last night after she ate it felt pretty firm and round, which is what I’ve noticed on other chicks in normal times. This morning it seemed emptier and squishier?

Attachments

• 3C869811-B0A7-4833-A391-9D812406DFE2.jpeg
    3C869811-B0A7-4833-A391-9D812406DFE2.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 7
I’ll try to get a video of the neck movement. She wouldn’t perform for the camera last night, and she doesn’t seem to be doing it so far today.

Oh, that’s possible. I just started putting th grit in about two weeks ago when I introduced the eggs and then the spinach leaves, so they’re not used to having it around. I wondered if there’s a risk of them mistaking it for crumbles and eating too much. God, chicken parenting is as bad as human parenting.

Her poops look good, but it the white speck from the bedding? Just look for more specks like that if they are moving. If her crop feels squishy in the morning, it might not be emptying over night. Try feeling it tomorrow after she goes all night without food or water. But it may just be normal if she is eating some at night. I would hold of on the Corid unless she has runny poops.

Back
Top Bottom