Silkie chick questions

Apr 27, 2021
Indiana
Hello everyone, I had 2 broody silkies just hatch 16 eggs total. I was wondering at about what age can you tell gender? They are only 1-3 days old now. I also wanted to sell some and was wondering for about how much? Also there are a couple eggs that haven’t hatched yet. The hens seem to be taking turns between sitting on them and being with the chicks. I have candled them last night and they looked dark I couldn’t really see any veins or much movement, but one did hatch this morning. Should I just leave them for a couple more days? I’m afraid they will explode because we had that happen early before any of the eggs hatched. There isn’t any strange smells though. These are pictures of the mommas with the baby’s and then the dad. Thank you

Attachments

• AF3A5693-1867-4CFF-951F-270A96CFECAA.jpeg
    AF3A5693-1867-4CFF-951F-270A96CFECAA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 9FE0D628-D536-45D6-9AFB-C09F159290CB.jpeg
    9FE0D628-D536-45D6-9AFB-C09F159290CB.jpeg
    692.9 KB · Views: 6
SIlkies are tough. I agree with the above post.

As for how much to sell the chicks for, the older they are, the more you'll get. It would not be ideal to separate the chicks from their mothers until they are older. But whenever you do sell them, look on Craigslist for comparable birds, and charge accordingly.

As far as the eggs go, if the hens are still sitting on them then I would give them a couple more days. If you have an incubator you could try that, too.

Best of luck.

SIlkies are tough. I agree with the above post.

As for how much to sell the chicks for, the older they are, the more you'll get. It would not be ideal to separate the chicks from their mothers until they are older. But whenever you do sell them, look on Craigslist for comparable birds, and charge accordingly.

As far as the eggs go, if the hens are still sitting on them then I would give them a couple more days. If you have an incubator you could try that, too.

Best of luck.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom