Silkie chicken for $125?

NicInNC

Crowing
16 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
There was a GORGEOUS black silkie at the Unifour show. I mean absolutely GORGEOUS! The guy wanted $125 for it though.
ep.gif

Is it normal for them to sell that much as an adult? There were two smaller ones, but he wanted $50 for each of them. He said they were show quality and they sure looked it. It was all I could do to not buy one, but my husband would have culled ME.

Last edited:
Bunnies are the same way....but atleast in purebred rabbits, you can't go by price...go by knowledge. So if you really think they were of the quality they said they were..then i bet they were worth that money.
smile.png

OK. I was just wondering! I'm still new to all this. She was a BEAUTY. She was so pretty that I think I'd want to keep her in the house like a dog.
lol.png

I've seen some go on auction for $600-$1000 for excellent quality.

Quote:
You are right Chris!!!! If you are going to show, you will pay for your breeders! That is why chicks and eggs seem expensive sometimes. If you have spent the money to get good birds and have good results, your birds don't go cheap!!!!
wink.png

Quote:
Well if you break it down into what has gone into a show bird, $125 is nothing.

To start with you have the electricity it cost to run the incubator to hatch the eggs and the heat lamp in the brooder. Then you have the chick starter feed, shavings, medications, and any vaccinations for the chicks. Then you have housing requirements, feed, supplements, and any other medications over the life of the bird. Over time, these things REALLY add up, and I'd bet that if you seriously broke it down and kept track, $125 is only a fraction of the money put into a good show bird.

And then there is the little thing about putting a price on time, energy, and effort. How do you assess a price tag on that?

Quote:
Well if you break it down into what has gone into a show bird, $125 is nothing.

To start with you have the electricity it cost to run the incubator to hatch the eggs and the heat lamp in the brooder. Then you have the chick starter feed, shavings, medications, and any vaccinations for the chicks. Then you have housing requirements, feed, supplements, and any other medications over the life of the bird. Over time, these things REALLY add up, and I'd bet that if you seriously broke it down and kept track, $125 is only a fraction of the money put into a good show bird.

And then there is the little thing about putting a price on time, energy, and effort. How do you assess a price tag on that?

I agree completely here. $125 is a good price for something that is"just a chicken". However, when I see a $2,000 bulldog I say "just a dog". Its the time, feed and management that goes into making and keeping these breeds looking like they do. Anyone can have a silkie, not everyone has the time and money to put into what you often see at the shows. I have a friend who has silkies now, and she does not have the time to care for her birds like I do and believe me, it shows. You should see the time I take in fixing their food alone. It costs more than standard feed sure, but I hand mix and add supplements and extra and mix bowls daily. And mine are not so pampered that they are in heated and A/C'd coops, but they are kept out of the rain and wet and wind and on clean litter that I change more than I would for any other breed I own. I wash and groom and make boots for them to keep them immacculate before the shows.I have a strict time frame I follow for mite and lice control. I incubate, which costs electricity, and distilled water I have to purchase, as well as heat lamps and I have AI'd some to get fertility. I have breeding records and started using a pedigree program. You have to study your birds andpair together the ones that you think would make the best offspring.
I sell my silkies for no less than $75 a hen and $50 a rooster and they go up from there.

Back
Top Bottom