Silkie chicken loss of legs?

Hello! Thank you for your reply, I need all the education I can get. She eats layer pellets and every other day I throw them sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, some scratch and those dried worms they sell for poultry. I also share my tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, blueberries, carrots every few days. I use poultry drench for vitamins in their water over the winter. I just switched her to some starter crumbles this morning since you’ve said that.
The roosters are about 2 years old, they mate the other ladies, but haven’t mated her or her sister yet, maybe too young for them? I’m sure that will change next month when spring comes near..
I have my whole flock on layer pellets, is this generally wrong? I’m never sure what to ask for at the feed store. And they all eat together..
I’ve given her some vitamin e selenium gel now, I’m going to look for vitamin b. Thank you! I will attach a file of her trying to stand and her poop this morning. It looks like it won’t let me attach video but I’m going to keep trying

Attachments

• C21D0A5F-3DA1-4633-9FB5-8F05EAB1A15E.png
    C21D0A5F-3DA1-4633-9FB5-8F05EAB1A15E.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Her one foot is out and one under her. I tried to attack a video but it would only allow photo files..

Attachments

• 030AA9D8-B30D-4CC3-972D-B8035A02C507.jpeg
    030AA9D8-B30D-4CC3-972D-B8035A02C507.jpeg
    660.7 KB · Views: 9
Have you checked the bottom of her feet for some kind of injury or possibly infection, or bumblefoot? I had a hen who walked weird and she had bumblefoot. Maybe mold exposure or ingestion, chickens who have eaten or rubbed/rolled in mold can lose muscle function and coordination. And silkies are prone to vitamin deficiencies, that's a possibility as well.

Have you checked the bottom of her feet for some kind of injury or possibly infection, or bumblefoot? I had a hen who walked weird and she had bumblefoot. Maybe mold exposure or ingestion, chickens who have eaten or rubbed/rolled in mold can lose muscle function and coordination. And silkies are prone to vitamin deficiencies, that's a possibility as well.
Hi! I soaked her feet and checked, they look good. I checked her poop and vent for worms as well and don’t see anything. I might take her to a vet today. I’m thinking mold or mareks based on the responses. I can’t keep her inside forever and I’m afraid to put her back with the flock if it’s mareks

Hi! I soaked her feet and checked, they look good. I checked her poop and vent for worms as well and don’t see anything. I might take her to a vet today. I’m thinking mold or mareks based on the responses. I can’t keep her inside forever and I’m afraid to put her back with the flock if it’s mareks
A vet would be the best idea under the circumstances tbh. I've never seen Marek's firsthand, thank goodness, but based on your coop condition I don't see how she could have gotten it. I'm thinking most likely mold with all these wet, decomposing leaves around. I know my allergies act up with leaf mold... My advice is get her to a vet. Let me know what the vet says as soon as you can.

Hello! Thank you for your reply, I need all the education I can get. She eats layer pellets and every other day I throw them sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, some scratch and those dried worms they sell for poultry. I also share my tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, blueberries, carrots every few days. I use poultry drench for vitamins in their water over the winter. I just switched her to some starter crumbles this morning since you’ve said that.
The roosters are about 2 years old, they mate the other ladies, but haven’t mated her or her sister yet, maybe too young for them? I’m sure that will change next month when spring comes near..
I have my whole flock on layer pellets, is this generally wrong? I’m never sure what to ask for at the feed store. And they all eat together..
I’ve given her some vitamin e selenium gel now, I’m going to look for vitamin b. Thank you! I will attach a file of her trying to stand and her poop this morning. It looks like it won’t let me attach video but I’m going to keep trying
This all sounds great, except that gel, if it's for 4-legged animals, you're giving her way too much selenium. You'd be better to give her a Vit E pill you may have or just buy some and give her one a day whole (app. 400 i.u.) by opening her beak up and popping it in. Don't break it open as she won't like it. You can pull down her little wattles too to help. Give her a little scrambled egg for the selenium. Reg human B-Complex Vit helps too, 1/4 of 1 pill daily. Keep up this regimen for at least a couple of weeks as it takes time to overcome deficiencies.

Video: You will need to make a You Tube acct and post your video there, make it shareable there, then copy the link to here. There's a media button where you can paste it.

This all sounds great, except that gel, if it's for 4-legged animals, you're giving her way too much selenium. You'd be better to give her a Vit E pill you may have or just buy some and give her one a day whole (app. 400 i.u.) by opening her beak up and popping it in. Don't break it open as she won't like it. You can pull down her little wattles too to help. Give her a little scrambled egg for the selenium. Reg human B-Complex Vit helps too, 1/4 of 1 pill daily. Keep up this regimen for at least a couple of weeks as it takes time to overcome deficiencies.

Video: You will need to make a You Tube acct and post your video there, make it shareable there, then copy the link to here. There's a media button where you can paste it.
Thank you! I’m going to buy some vitamin E and B right now. I spoke with a vet on the phone who says Mareks has been very common in our area, and he feels pretty certain that what it is. I’m bringing her there tomorrow.

I’ve given her some vitamin e selenium gel now, I’m going to look for vitamin b.
Save that Vitamin E and Selenium Gel for your Goats and/or Sheep.

For Poultry go to Walmart, CVS, etc. and buy a bottle of Vitamin E (400IU) and B-Complex. Give the vitamins directly to her in the beak.
I'd re-check for injury. Start feeding her Chick Starter or an All Flock feed that is 18-20% protein. Cut out the seeds. Eggs as a treat are great.
Start her on Vitamin E (400IU) and 1/4 tablet of B-Complex daily - the treat of egg daily will also help with the uptake of E.

Silkies seem to be more prone to neurological issues so hopefully the vitamins and nutrition will be helpful.
Marek's disease is a possibility with the symptoms you describe, unfortunately, there's no real treatment except for vitamin therapy and the only way to really know if her condition is due to Marek's is to have necropsy if you lose her.

Back
Top Bottom