Silkie chicken mom adopted ducklings

Adrisducks

Songster
6 Years
Oct 26, 2016
I have a really sweet silkie that's always wanted to be a mom that never got a chance thanks to everyone else in the flock hiding away and having babies without permission. Thankfully that's over with. But I didn't need anymore chickens. I did need ducks. And I read about people having great success with silkies because they are so broody and accepting. Well that's true. I gave her four 2 day old Indian Runner duckings. She's beyond happy now, purrs a lot and loved them immediately. Small problem..they were afraid of her. She kept trying to call out to them to come under her and feed them but they stayed away. Finally today (day 2) every time I checked on them they were almost always under her. Am I in the clear now? Does that mean they've accepted her as mom? Any suggestions for chicken mom and duck babies? TIA

This is the whole family this morning! I had to transport them (in a bucket) while I cleaned their coop! I took a video of them in the bucket because she was purring so loud but it won't let me upload it here. I'll have to take more photos tomorrow ❤️

Attachments

• PXL_20230518_203725872.jpg
    PXL_20230518_203725872.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom