Silkie Chickens

AAJ

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 21, 2011
I have white silkies. They laid an egg, I incubated it, and it hatched. The first one that hatched is yellow, but the second one is a darkish color. I want to know if a breed of chickens can produce a different color of the same breed chicken.

Having had white silkies in the past, I also found this - the one that is dark will turn white but carries the silver white gene. The one that is yellow will also turn white but will become more sappy in colour in the summer.
Sandy
D.gif

Don't know a thing about silkies, but congrats on the hatching!/img/smilies/yippiechickie.gif

Here are some facts about them so you can know everything about them
Omg I love silkies! I know almost everything about them and I am geting 4 of them( so excited about them) they are my fav chicken and i love the colour buff and splash and balck. But sadly I don't have them yet so I can't post pics of them. BUT I can tell you some awesome facts about them!
1. Silkies can not fly so you don't need a big fence to keep them in
2. Silkies have black skin which I thing is kind of cool
3. Silkies have 5 toes but some breeders get them with 4 to 6 toes but it don't matter unless you are showing them.
4. In some places rosters are banned for the crowing and other things but you probably know that
5.silkies can have difficult seeing, but breeders and owners can pluck or trim the feathers nerve the eyes or they pin the crest back using a hair tie. But do it gently or it could hurt them
6. They are probably one of the sweetest chicken breeds they are extremely laid back and easy going. They make great pets for people who are new to chickens. Some people even teach them to be on a leash or even be house trained
7. They are very broody so if you want to breed them it won't be hard. They make wonderful mothers! They love to sit on eggs even fake ones or ones that are not futile. Those fluffy bottoms make fantastic egg-sitters.
8. Always be careful when your silkie is exposed to other animals. You look away for one minute and next you see the bird in the mouth of your dog 'playing'. Even nice dogs could do it one playfully bite and the chicken is killed in an instant . Remember it's your job to protect them.
9. You must watch this vid I don't have it but look it up it's ' Liza the chicken part 1' but start at about 3:50 then watch ' Liza the chicken part 2' it's great.
10. When you buy your chicken if it's a pet don't pay $120 for it beacuse it's show standed silkies can cost from $10 to $130 if I were you I would get them from a breeder.
Oh and btw I made a folder about silkies for my mum and dad to show I will be a great owner to my silkies and guess what now I am geting 4 silkies
And again btw I am naming them nugget and heny penny
My little bro is calling it dark vader
And my friend is calling hers dippi
But the names for my friend and my bro might change
And sorry again here are some funny names for chickens
Soockie chookie
Chicken nuggets
Chicken wing
Chicken drumstick
Chicken breast fillet
Mary Jane
Jane