Silkie Chicks from TSC Aggressive? Is anyone else noticing this?

Old 76 Farm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
Central NY Country
I bought 6 Silkie chicks at TSC that are now a day shy of 2 weeks old. They are very aggressive with each other, pecking, fighting, attacking my hand. I have never seen chicks act like this before and am worried I made a mistake in getting them. Everything about them tells me they are pullets too. I have wing sexed them, beak sexed them, leg/foot sexed them.. no sign of a roo except one possibility.

Has anyone else gotten Silkies from TSC and is noticing this same behavior? I have raised Orpingtons & Brahmas from chicks in the same brooder, they have plenty of room in there also. Is this normal for Silkie chicks? I'm doubting it is but have to ask. I'm worried and confused.

I changed the brooder light bulb, added a small parrot swing (1 inch high), and a gumball sized soccer ball to the brooder to try to give them other things to do. I've been holding each one everyday. Things have calmed down a little. I am convinced that they must be mixed with another breed. Two are even missing the feathered feet. They are adorable & I love them just the same, but was really not expecting Silkies to be such stinkers.

I'm thinking they may be working on their pecking order already. Is that possible at 2 weeks?

One of the biggest things Silkies are known for is being docile. So much so, that they're typically recommended as great pets for children or people just starting out with chickens. The aggressiveness your chicks have been showing is not the norm for the breed. That being said, they did come from a hatchery, so who knows what breeding practices they use there. I'm a firm believer that temperament is an inherited trait, and I don't imagine a hatchery would care too much about culling birds that are aggressive. Them being hatchery quality would also explain them not having feathered shanks. They breed for quantity, not quality, so whatever is in their breeding pen and laying eggs is what they are hatching and selling, whether they are good representations of the breed or not. I've seen hatchery Silkies with single combs, no crests, white skin, no extra toes or too many, clean legs. I've also seen them with normal, hard feathers.
And yes, at this age, they would certainly be figuring out who goes where in the pecking order.

You should really do yourself a favor and find a breeder in your area. Get yourself a few chicks and compare them quality and personality wise to your hatchery birds. You'll be shocked at the difference.

Good luck.

Yes, I think you are exactly right on all. I was actually seeking out breeders in my area & then got sucked into the cuteness during a trip to TSC. I finally got it out of the employees that the hatchery is Townline Hatchery. They are just starting to feather out and already I'm seeing more hard feathers than I think I should see on a Silkie.

The main reason I wanted to add Silkies to my flock is because I've heard they are so docile. My flock consists of Orpingtons and Brahmas, all beautiful & living up to their breeds, a very kind child friendly flock. So Silkies, I thought would be a beautiful addition. Thank you much for the advice! I will be looking for more from a good breeder.

Welcome! I wonder if they are Silkies; Townline also has Old English Game bantams in Red Pyle, and those chicks are white at first, but have no feathering on the legs, and normal feathering. Pictures? Mary

Hi Mary, thank you for the welcome! These pictures are from the first day I got them. I will be taking more pictures today & I will add them. I am not good at chick pictures lol! They are always blurry. They do have the black skin, feet & beak. Only two of the six don't have the foot feathering. I believe they are going to be white and buff, one is turning bluish on the chest & tummy though. They are all in good health so far.

This one is the calmest of the bunch & has the sweetest personality so far.

Sorry about the red tint, I was switching between red & white bulbs,

below is one without the feathered footing

Back
Top Bottom