Silkie chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fishinchicken, Apr 21, 2011.

1. fishinchicken

fishinchicken In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    SWVA
    While at my local TSC tonight I stumbled upon a brooder of "Assorted Bantam" chicks. Upon further examination I noticed that they all had 5 toes, black skin and beaks as well as black feet. Can you guys think of anything else these could be? I will post pics ASAP. Thanks

2. SilkieMama17

SilkieMama17 In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Alfred
    Probably Silkies, since thats the ONLY bantams my TSC had [​IMG]

3. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Sounds like silkies! [​IMG] I lovee silkies!!

4. hlf1996

hlf1996 Songster

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    That's what silkies look like, yay! How
    many did you get? Silkies are my favorite!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    TSC in Flemington, NJ had an entire bin of silky chicks today. The darndest thing is that these chicks were as large as the standard bred chicks that they had for sale? They were relatively newly hatched as they still had their egg tooth, but they were BIG. Several weeks ago they had three silky chicks in a bin of assorted bantams. Those three actually had vaulted skulls, were tiny, and of apparently better quality than what I saw today.

6. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chirping

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    from what you described them as....sounds like silkies to me!! have fun raising them, they are a wonderful pet to have around!!!

7. fishinchicken

fishinchicken In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    SWVA
    I picked out 6 with good vaulted skulls and lively little peeps. I hope that they turn out well. I hatched 3 with my students a couple of weeks ago so they are in brooder #2 in the basement. It surprises me though that TSC had them. Even more surprised that I had to tell them what they were (in my opinion). Glad I got it right. I think they will turn out white or buff...they were very light colored. [​IMG]

8. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Songster

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    when i went to my TSC a very long time ago they had 4 silkie chicks.... 1 looked very sick so i tolf them and they said yea no one wants him so we will probably just throw him out... i was like wait just throw him out alive and let him starve and they said yes and i was like no... luckly a ladie was there who had chicks and decidded to take these guys so i was very happy because i have some chicks arriving on the 28th....i am hatching them so i am very egg-cited!

9. ddcoyne

ddcoyne Chirping

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    I picked up the one & only silkie my TSC had yesterday. He now shares a brooder with 5 California Whites and an unknown fuzzy-footed bantam. When I saw those ten toes and that black beak, I just knew he was mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: