Silkie Cochin bantam cross-what to expect?

FrenchToast

"Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven
12 Years
Jan 10, 2010
UP North WI
I have got some gorgeous silkie cross's that resulted from a white silkie crossed with a black bantam cochin.
Some of roosters have beautiful gold hackle feathers and some have silver hackles. The hens are mostly all black and they have the soft cochin feathers, nice puffy butts, just gorgeous !!

Anyway they have started laying now and I hatched out one chick so far and it is what looks like will be a blue.

My question is what can I expect their offspring to look like? My understanding is they could have the silkie feathering since it is the second generation?
No matter what I don't think they could be any cutier !!!

So does the silkie/cochin cross have a name?

Thanks

FrenchToast

Quote:
Steve's silkied cochins are not the result of breeding cochins and silkies together - they're purebred cochins with silkied feathers. Totally different than what French Toast did with their birds.

Silkie/cochin crosses don't have a name unless the cochin was frizzled - in which case, they would be called "Sizzles". But I guess you could use them in a sizzle project, because you'd need normal feathered sizzles to breed to frizzled sizzles.

The first generation offspring from the silkie x cochin breeding would all be split to silkied feathering. If you bred those offspring together, you'd get 25% silkied feathering, 50% normal feathered split to silkied, and 25% normal feathered not split to silkied. There is no way to tell if the normal feathered babies are split to silkied or not - they will look exactly the same.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I didn't intentionally breed these. I purchased two white silkie hens that were IA to a white roo so incubated 18 of their eggs to get more white silkies. The results were 17 black chicks and one pure white silkie. After further investigation found out that a bantam black cochin may have gotten in with the hens.
They are way to cute to cull so now they are part of the farm.

Just was wondering if there is a market for them since they are so dang cute. Like I said they are now laying so it would be the second generation.

Thanks

FrenchToast

51678_100_1004.jpg

My daughters baby,ANNA BELLE 5WEEKS OLD FRIZZLED COCHIN SILKIE BANTAM
[I wish I could get the camera to down load some newer photos. She is 7 months now and a much better looking bird. Very puffy/fluffy with straight feathers.
We recently trimmed the feathers from around her eyes because she couldn't see. I'll try again with the camera.

If you are breeding the silkie X cochins together you should have 25% with silkie feathering. They need 2 genes for the silkie feather for it to show, and if you think of it as silkie being 'S' and cochin being 'c', both parents are Sc. Sc x Sc result in 25% SS, 25% cc, and 50% Sc. So 25% with silkie feathers, 50% carrying the gene for silkie, and 25% just straight feathered.

ETA: My black mottled bantam cochin rooster was in love with my son's white silkie hens, so I've got a few silkie X cochins running around. My dad likes them better than the cochins or the silkies, they are so poofy! I recently lost that cochin rooster (my best one
somad.gif
), and the mixed babies have better cochin type than the pure cochin 'son' of the roo I lost! The one thing he has going for him is that he is smaller than his daddy
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks

That makes sense to me, you explained it well. I now have three of the little buggers hatched out. I'll get some photos of them.
Keep the photo's coming, I think they are just so adorable. I agree, cutier than pure cochins !!! (No offense to Cochin owners please LOL)

If you still want white Silkies, breed a male offspring to the white mothers. Babies will be 3/4 Silkie, some will be white, some will have silkied feathers, and some will have correct combs. With any luck, all of these traits will occur on the same bird. Breeding siblings together will get you the same results, but what you want will be a lower ratio, and you will have a lot more single, Cochiny combs that you thought possible!

Back
Top Bottom