Silkie Cockerel with bearded gene, does he have one copy or two?

Pinedale Silkies

Songster
Oct 21, 2019
Australia
Hi. not exactly sure how to start a thread so I'll just dive right in.
I have a silkie cockerel, he's a eb? based buff and he's about 6-7 months old. He's obviously bearded, the question is, is it one copy or two? Iknow it's fairly hard to tell, let alone just from still images, but if anyone has any idea that would be much appreciated. My reason for asking is due to the lack of bearded buff silkies in Australia, I was only able to acquire him, and a non-bearded, what I believe to be wheaten based? silkie pullet, which I plan to breed, and would like to know in advanced if ill end up with all bearded (single copy of course) or only half bearded offspring. Thanks in advance.
ps ignore the ugly black blob that's me censoring my sister's face.
also yes, his foot looks like that it's from incubation temps as a chick it's not genetic.
IMG_9831[769].jpg
IMG_9836[779].jpg
IMG_9838[783].jpg
IMG_9846[799].jpg
IMG_9848[803].jpg

I notice that he has visible wattles.
Many chickens with beards have no visible wattles.

So that might indicate that he has only one copy of the beard gene, or it might be caused by whatever other genes he has that affect wattle size.

Sorry, I'm really not good at telling whether a chicken has one copy vs. two of beard, so that really works out to "I don't know."

So that might indicate that he has only one copy of the beard gene, or it might be caused by whatever other genes he has that affect wattle size.

Sorry, I'm really not good at telling whether a chicken has one copy vs. two of beard, so that really works out to "I don't know."
I’m with you here.

Ok I would usually agree with that from everything I’ve seen/read, ect, but I have notice a lot of silkie roosters in Australia do seem to have visible wattles so idk?? But thanks for the input! 😊

Back
Top Bottom