Silkie Color help!

Old_McDonalds_Farm

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2023
Eastern NC
Hey yall 😊 we are hatching our first eggs this week with the help of broody hens. Trying to figure out chick colors now 🤔 8 total, 5 are silkies, 2 are silkie/polish, 1 hopefully olive egger. (OE is a EE/ welsummer cross I threw in)

I know the dark chick #1 & #3 came from polish egg so they will be polkies.

Hoping some one can tell me what colors these may turn out to be! Especially the partridge colors

olive egger, welsummer roo/buff EE:
1000009193.jpg

Dark Chick #1: polkie
1000009199.jpg

Dark chick #2: polkie
1000009194.jpg

Dark chick #3, silkie:
1000009198.jpg

Partridge type, Reddish:
1000009196.jpg

Light Partridge type #1:
1000009197.jpg

Light Partridge type #2:
1000009195.jpg

Light Partridge type #3:
1000009261.jpg

Possible Parents in this pen:
1000009206.jpg

1000009207.jpg

With the mix, I have no idea. I've hatched several partridge and you just never know. This is a picture of a partridge chick and what he became. He started out very light.

Regardless, you've got some very gorgeous chicks there! :love

Attachments

• chicks Millie at 3 wks..jpg
    chicks Millie at 3 wks..jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Millie 5-30-23.jpg
    Millie 5-30-23.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 8
With the mix, I have no idea. I've hatched several partridge and you just never know. This is a picture of a partridge chick and what he became. He started out very light.

Regardless, you've got some very gorgeous chicks there! :love
Thank you! I think the 2 polish/silkie mix will be hard to guess also. The rest are all silkie, 1 dark, 3 light partridge & 1 reddish partridge.

I'm curious to see the difference in the partridge since the one is red and the rest are so light. I've heard of buff, silver, and red partridge but no clue on how to distinguish those

Thank you! I think the 2 polish/silkie mix will be hard to guess also. The rest are all silkie, 1 dark, 3 light partridge & 1 reddish partridge.

I'm curious to see the difference in the partridge since the one is red and the rest are so light. I've heard of buff, silver, and red partridge but no clue on how to distinguish those
Of the light type partridge chicks, #1 will be silver based. #2 & 3 will be gold based, I think.

There's a slight grayish cast to the silver based ones. The gold based look identical but with a slightly warmer tone to the down around the brown streak on the head.

These 2 came as part of a hatchery's choice assortment. Playing identify the breed as chicks was a challenge. Both started out as light partridge chipmunk striped chicks
20240407_135115.jpg
20240402_175021.jpg

Of the light type partridge chicks, #1 will be silver based. #2 & 3 will be gold based, I think.

There's a slight grayish cast to the silver based ones. The gold based look identical but with a slightly warmer tone to the down around the brown streak on the head.

These 2 came as part of a hatchery's choice assortment. Playing identify the breed as chicks was a challenge. Both started out as light partridge chipmunk striped chicksView attachment 3801486View attachment 3801487
Very pretty 😍 I have a Welsummer hen & roo that started as chipmunk chicks as well but more like my olive egger above. This group may have Satin feathers mixed in also so more options 🤣

Back
Top Bottom