Silkie Color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by halfwildacres, Mar 4, 2016.

1. halfwildacres

halfwildacres Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    I got some Silkie chicks from the bantam bin at TSC. I know they're just hatchery-quality, but I'm hoping they will be good broodies for me. Out of 6 chicks, only 1 is actually white. The rest are a tanish color. I have next to no silkie experience, so I don't know if they are just discolored from hatching or if they are going to be buff? I'd love any input. Thanks! :)

This is the white one:[​IMG]

This is one of the tan ones. It looks like it was taken in bad lighting, but that's just the color.
    [​IMG]

Here is a side by side:
    [​IMG]

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    That light colored one could be white, silvery/blue, and the tannish one could be buff or partridge

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sure looks closer to buff than white. Last week our TSC got a batch of very poor quality hatchery silkies - very few sold, and those that are still there appear to be coming in hard feathered. This week they got another batch that is of equally poor quality - no leg feathering, no crests, and hard feathering.

4. halfwildacres

halfwildacres Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    The pictures aren't great, but I was surprised at how good these look. The white one doesn't really have much of a crest, but the tan ones all have a pretty pronounced crest. Last year they had "silkies" that were all hard feathered without the extra toe. I have no idea what ended up happening to them, but there were there for a really long time. This year they claim to be using a new hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by