Silkie Coloring Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by midwestchickenwrangler, Dec 27, 2010.

1. midwestchickenwrangler

midwestchickenwrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I have 2 White Silkie hens and a Splash Silkie roo. Any idea what color the chicks might be?

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Without knowing the genetic background of the whites, the most you can say is that the offspring will be carrying at least one copy of the blue gene. Everything else would be an unknown.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    No telling! White tends to "cover" other colors from past generations. The chicken calculator says blue....but ...... [​IMG]

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Quote:Could that be because the calculator is assuming dominate white and not recessive?

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Quote:Could that be because the calculator is assuming dominate white and not recessive?

I believe that the calculator assumes extended black under the white. If you play around with it, changing everything except the recessive white, you still have a white bird, but your crosses to splash will vary. If your white hens were produced from non-white crosses, you may have an idea of what you'll get, but you'll probably just have to try it and report back.

6. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Can someone post the picture to the chicken calculator?

7. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri

No, Silkies should be recessive white. If the splash bird is extended black then the chicks will be blue and will leak some color depending on the genes found in the white birds. Black birds and white birds are just a genetic guess concening the genes they carry. Black birds can and many do carry the pattern gene and some carry the columbian gene. The E locus of a bird usually determines how much color the offspring will show- if a bird is purebred for extended black (has two E alleles (genes)) they normally do not show any non black color but if a bird has one E (extended black) allele and a wild type allele and carry the columbian gene they have a good chance of showing some non black color.

If you cross a black female bird with a buff male bird the females will normally show large amounts of buff color on the anterior end of the bird. Many buff birds are buff because they carry both the dark brown gene and the columbian gene- along with other genes. These two genes work together to clear the black from the anterior end of a female or male. I have produced almost white birds by using the columbain and dark brown genes in combination. This combination works very well on silver wheaten or gold wheaten birds (buff).

Your white birds could be buff under the white- you just do not know. They could be partridge or laced?

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by