SILKIE colors and what do you get when you cross colors

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FrenchToast, Jan 24, 2010.

1. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    just figured i would ask becouse my other breeds pretty much seperate into groups containing only 1 breed when i let them outi just dont have different colors of different breeds

and i know chickens are not color blind cuz if i get a new waterer that looks exactly the same as an old 1 just a different color and put it in the same spot the go insane so [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I think you are right! I was being sarcastic, wasn't I? Sorry!

I hear what you are saying. Yes, my other chickens all hang out together, and my Silkies all stay together, off by themselves. But, they don't separate by color.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:No ... they are just chickens ... and I think they are color blind! [​IMG]

If they are used to being in separate groups they will likely stay in those groups--at least at first. As time goes on these groups will mingle and perhaps separate into different groupings.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Chickens (birds in general) see more colours than humans--they have a much wider spectrum, and are also able to differentiate between shades that we would see as the same--think of it as better colour resolution.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:No white mixed with any colour is unpredictable. In silkies, white is almost always recessive white.

6. kathyinmo

Chickens (birds in general) see more colours than humans--they have a much wider spectrum, and are also able to differentiate between shades that we would see as the same--think of it as better colour resolution.

Really? Wow, that is very interesting! And now, I have yet another tidbit of poultry education! Thanks! Now, ..... can you teach me some poultry genetics? [​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Ask away...

8. kathyinmo

Quote:I need a class. I'm not gettin' it with my own online study! I'm a nurse, you would think I could get a grip ... but, NO! [​IMG]

9. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    lol i always enjoy learning new things

10. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:sounds dodgy... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by