Silkie colors

zooinmypocket

Songster
5 Years
Aug 21, 2016
California
Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some help. I am working on my silkie group right now and I did a fertility hatch which is the first from my new rooster.
Now let me give you my line-up
Hens: 1 black silkie, 1 blue silkie, 1 blue with buff feathers on her chest satin (or smooth), 1 blue cream satin (I believe), and 1 gray silkie: all have black skin
Rooster: Splash frizzle silkie with pale skin
The rooster is the son of a previous rooster I had, he was splash with pale skin and straight comb, and the blue cream hen. The son has the pale skin, but a walnut comb.
My goal is to better my type: so making sure I have the standard black skin and walnut comb, then I can work on the fluff. But mostly focusing on BBS for the main group.
My issue: I hatched 8 chicks, I was expecting mostly blues and splashes from my colors of which I got 5, but I also got 3 that were colored differently. 2 are completely white and 1 is a light buff color, which I can confirm now that they are feathering out. The 3 that were colored lightly also are the only ones that have the pale skin.
My question: Should I remove the blue cream from the group or should I sub a new rooster. I hatched out some chicks from showlines and it looks like I will have a black, a paint, and a cuckoo rooster ready in a few months. I was already leaning towards switching the splash for the black.
Please let me know if anyone has any ideas or thoughts, I am still new to working towards SOP, but I'm not planning on showing for a few years until I am happy with them.

Since you have a goal to show, you are on the right track!
If what you would like to do is show your Silkies, I would recommend buying from a reputable breeder. In the end, it turns out to be the cheapest, fastest way to achieve what you want.
Many will ship right to you.
https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/ca-bearded-bantam-silkie-chicks-for-sale.html
I can’t really recommend any California breeders, since I don’t live there, but if you just go to a show to look around, there are probably lots of people who would be looking to help you find a breeder nearby.
If you’re in a quarantine zone, those may not work out.
Most importantly, if you don’t have it already, get the Standard of Perfection and selectively breed based on it.

Since you have a goal to show, you are on the right track!
If what you would like to do is show your Silkies, I would recommend buying from a reputable breeder. In the end, it turns out to be the cheapest, fastest way to achieve what you want.
Many will ship right to you.
https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/ca-bearded-bantam-silkie-chicks-for-sale.html
I can’t really recommend any California breeders, since I don’t live there, but if you just go to a show to look around, there are probably lots of people who would be looking to help you find a breeder nearby.
If you’re in a quarantine zone, those may not work out.
Most importantly, if you don’t have it already, get the Standard of Perfection and selectively breed based on it.
Thankfully I'm above it, I recently hatched out some shipped eggs, and picked up some from a breeder in Sac.
But does anyone know why I got whites, or if they are dominant or recessive whites? I have other color pens that I'm working on that are based off dominant white (paints).

Thankfully I'm above it, I recently hatched out some shipped eggs, and picked up some from a breeder in Sac.
But does anyone know why I got whites, or if they are dominant or recessive whites? I have other color pens that I'm working on that are based off dominant white (paints).
I’m afraid I can’t tell you, but I do know Silkies can be both.

I am completely new to this, but I think that you need to switch out your Roo. Not as an answer to the white thing, but because of the pale skin. Isn't the dark skin a sex linked trait that goes along the male's side? Its a pretty big part of the silkie standard, I think, and easily fixed with a new roo especially here at the start of your adventure.

I could also be totally wrong though. 😁

Sunny

I am completely new to this, but I think that you need to switch out your Roo. Not as an answer to the white thing, but because of the pale skin. Isn't the dark skin a sex linked trait that goes along the male's side? Its a pretty big part of the silkie standard, I think, and easily fixed with a new roo especially here at the start of your adventure.

Sunny
You are somewhat correct in this statement.
Fibromelanism is a dominant trait, but the dermal melanin gene goes hand in hand with it, and dermal melanin is sexlinked, meaning without it, you can’t have fibromelanism.
If your male has white or yellow legs, he had no chance of expressing fibro. However, if he has dark legs and pale skin, he will inherit fibro as a dominant trait.

Fibromelanism is a dominant trait, but the dermal melanin gene goes hand in hand with it, and dermal melanin is sexlinked, meaning without it, you can’t have fibromelanism.
If your male has white or yellow legs, he had no chance of expressing fibro. However, if he has dark legs and pale skin, he will inherit fibro as a dominant trait.
Thank you for the explanation. Genetics is just so interesting, imo.

Sunny

That is exactly what I was thinking. The original roo had pale skin and blue legs, and if I remember correctly more than half the chicks came out with dark skin, but I sold them all except the last 2 that I kept which were brothers both came out with pale skin and blue legs. I'm selling all of these chicks from this rooster as well since some are coming out with pale skin and light legs, but I think those are the ones from the rooster's mom, so maybe they are just getting too much of his genes?

I also have some chicks that are in the brooder 5 weeks old. The rooster I plan on moving up is in there, he is black with no vault from hatch, but he has correctly colored skin and feathering. I think there are at least 2 other males in there with him. 1 is a paint male and I have a blue and a cuckoo that I can't confirm. The paint male is very nice and has plenty of black patches coming in, but he has a straight comb. I was planning on breeding him to blacks for splits and then back again to him, but will it be harder to get rid of the straight comb?

Back
Top Bottom