Silkie colors?

AngeJD

Chirping
Apr 3, 2021
Hi all, first time hatching silkies, and got 5/5 that went into lockdown, yay!

The breeder I got them from has a white roo, and a blue roo, and hens are blue, blue splash, black and white. She also says her whites carry lavender as a recessive gene and she has gotten lavender chicks before (I'm guessing from the white X white).

From this hatch, looks like I have one blue, one that may be a blue cuckoo, and the rest are black, but I know with silkies it's impossible to tell color until they're much older...

But what are the chances this one blue chick can end up lavender? And this second chick that I think is a cuckoo...can it just be a dark blue? I love the vaults on these 2. Thanks!

20210620_093207.jpg
20210620_092835.jpg

First one does look blue to me.
I don't think it's lavender or will turn lavender.
Unsure why you think the second may be cuckoo?
There was no mention of cuckoo in the adult birds so I would expect it to just be blue.

Thanks, I had sent a pic of the second chick to the breeder, and she said it could be a cuckoo, since I asked if her blue hens were a dark blue or lighter blue.

I didnt realize there was such a variation in blue! And for the silkie breeders out there, at what age usually do you know true color? I was told by the breeder at least 4 months?

The breeder I got them from has a white roo, and a blue roo, and hens are blue, blue splash, black and white. She also says her whites carry lavender as a recessive gene and she has gotten lavender chicks before (I'm guessing from the white X white).

From this hatch, looks like I have one blue, one that may be a blue cuckoo, and the rest are black, but I know with silkies it's impossible to tell color until they're much older...

But what are the chances this one blue chick can end up lavender? And this second chick that I think is a cuckoo...can it just be a dark blue? I love the vaults on these 2. Thanks!

View attachment 2726807View attachment 2726809
Both look blue.

View attachment 2726807View attachment 2726809
These littles are blue, which can vary from very light blue to almost black. 😊

Back
Top Bottom