Silkie Coop Advice

cmhealy

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2018
I will be installing a new coop/run for several silkies shortly. We are hoping to have 3-6 silkies reside in the coop/run -- they will not be allowed to "free range" (although we have debated having one of the children take them on small walks through the garden). We live in N.C. and I want to ensure that our new babies have enough space in their secure enclosure and am looking for recommendations.
In an ideal world the coop would fit the following criteria:
  • Easy-to-clean
  • Walk-in
  • Aesthetically beautiful
  • Relatively small in size but sturdy
  • Affordable (around $300 or under would be ideal)
  • Premade (we could build from a diy plan, but would much prefer to purchase one premade)
upload_2018-3-3_9-55-58.png
Thank you in advance for your insights!

I will be installing a new coop/run for several silkies shortly. We are hoping to have 3-6 silkies reside in the coop/run -- they will not be allowed to "free range" (although we have debated having one of the children take them on small walks through the garden). We live in N.C. and I want to ensure that our new babies have enough space in their secure enclosure and am looking for recommendations.
In an ideal world the coop would fit the following criteria:
  • Easy-to-clean
  • Walk-in
  • Aesthetically beautiful
  • Relatively small in size but sturdy
  • Affordable (around $300 or under would be ideal)
  • Premade (we could build from a diy plan, but would much prefer to purchase one premade)
View attachment 1281997
Thank you in advance for your insights!
Pre- made coops are quite beautiful. ..That's about it in my experience. We have found that after spending lots of hard earned dollars that they are cheaply made and not necessarily completely predator proof. Do some careful research and don't be fooled by companies just trying to make a sale. Your money, and the safety of your silkies, would be better spent on something you KNOW is safe and right.

Pre- made coops are quite beautiful. ..That's about it in my experience. We have found that after spending lots of hard earned dollars that they are cheaply made and not necessarily completely predator proof. Do some careful research and don't be fooled by companies just trying to make a sale. Your money, and the safety of your silkies, would be better spent on something you KNOW is safe and right.

Thanks for the insight. I do care about the quality of the material and have created a list of brands to stay away from when buying prefab. But do you have any recommendations for designs/plans/blue prints that you would recommend specifically for silkies?

Unfortunately, I think you will find that coop to be one of the ones to stay away from. They are made from lightweight material and will not last. We have something similar that we were given for free. We use it as a "play pen" for our brooder chicks when they are ready to go outside a few hours a day. However, I would not consider it predator proof and it wouldn't hold up to much weather.

Also, make sure you consider how much space is the enclosed coop area and how much is run area. The actual coop portion should be big enough to allow them to be closed in if the weather or other conditions require it. Unfortunately, our experience has been that there are really very few good quality and affordable pre-made coops out there, so we've resorted to building our own. I'm actually currently pondering my future Silkie coop too. :)

Plus silkies don't use ramps and they don't really like to roost. I have 50 silkies and I keep them in a huge shed. They will do a shallow grade ramp but nothing steep and not all of them will use it. They are a ground dweller and sleep in a pile on the ground.

I looked for months for a pre-made house for up to 6 chickens. I have to say you will not find something near the $300 mark that will be adequate for that many birds. You could build one for $300 to house that many birds, or you could buy a pre-fab one for more money to house up to 6 birds. When looking at pre-fab coops be sure to look at dimensions of the coop part (not counting the run) because often they can't really home as many birds as they advertise. If you find one you like, post a link and others on here can give you feedback. Also take a look at this section of the website for inspiration.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/chicken-coops.12/

Back
Top Bottom