Silkie coop? Questions from a newbie

OwensDad

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2016
Kearney Mo
So I have decided to start raising chickens! I have absolutely no experience with chickens. I have no little to no interest in raising meat and although the egg production will prove beneficial, this will be more of a hobby. All that being said I believe silkies will be the proper fit for me. My question(s) in relation to this particular discussion in the forum are wither or not a coop specifically designed to house silkies should be and different than any other coop. Considering their in ability to fly I don't believe I will be needing roosts, there for eliminating the need for poop trays under them? So will I be changing my bedding more often due to this? Also I have seen coops constructed where the entire floor is hardware fabric. Would this be a good idea or not considering it could make the coop fairly drafty? I plan on using a old shed (5x10)for my coop and elevating it about 2 maybe 3 feet at the most, I understand silkies have a tendency to not enjoy climbing very high into the coop is my main reason for not going higher. The coop will be housed in a 25x20 run. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

My silkies will go up a ramp to lay eggs or nest to go broody but they all sleep on the ground under the nesting boxes in the run i have put sides and such to hold hay to keep them warm but i am thinking of making them there own coop and run. Coop i would only put one rung roost low to the ground mine do not roost keep coop no more than 16" off ground don't block in under the coop make it wide open so they wont see it as a good place to sleep. Also remember silkies don't have normal feathers they get cold easier and get soaking wet if they cant get out of the rain. They also go broody very easily so put windows in your coop bright so they wont nest just sleep. Have nesting boxes separate from coop, put curtains on the nesting boxes makes them feel safer and helps with privacy also hides the eggs out of sight.

Back
Top Bottom