Silkie Coop Questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JerseyChicks, Sep 20, 2011.

1. JerseyChicks

JerseyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I have 2 silkies who are ready for a coop. I have heard that they have trouble/cannot walk up ladders... is this true? If so, what type of coop is best for them so that they are protected from the rain and weather during the winter? Any suggestions would be really helpful.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Mine have always been able to walk up to the coop. I took a flat board then used small branches from the trees to make stepping bars all the way up, and all my silkies do fine with it. You will have to show them a few times, but they will learn fast...at least mine did...lol
    Also, they can not fly to perch, so you will want to make a perch that is low to the ground in your coop for the silkies...mine is 4-6 inches off the ground, and they all perch at night [​IMG]

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 27 week old lavender silkie and I feared that she wouldn't be able to walk up our steep ladder entering the coop. Much to my surprise, some nights she is the first one to use the ladder before bedtime. Just give them a little time.

4. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    None of my silkies use the roosts, but I've seen all them on them during the day. They decided the top to a nest box was best. At least they aren't on the floor anymore. I did put in a step for the girls since sometimes they wouldn't quite make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by