Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics

RIR hen x black silkie roo.... 5 weeks old.. Sweet little things!!

Here is some pics of our Silkie/Sebright cross, Simon. Mom, Chandni, is a blue bearded Silkie and Dad, Stewart, is a Silver Sebright. Simon is the softest and cuddliest bird. He got moms five toes, feathered feet and FM gene, Dads eyes, rosecomb and waddles. He has Moms beard, muffs and crest. The Sebright hen feathering gene seems to have partially been passed to him, he has very rounded saddle feathers but they do drape a bit, he also may be getting sickle feathers but they are also softer in shape. We had three hatch but he was the only one to make it, one got a beak injury and when Mom discovered one of her babies had passed she freaked out and smothered another baby. We removed Simon for a couple weeks and put him in a cage near his Mom where she could see him but not accidentally smother him. They were both happily reunited a few weeks later and she and the father have raised him together and he still sleeps with them. He was born early May. Simon also has a very melodic crow!

The blue Silkie and Silver Sebright in the pics are Mom and Dad. The three lavender chicks in one of the pics are Simon and his siblings, we really wish the other two had made it :( The splash Silkie by the grape plant with Simon is his girlfriend Lillian who we plan to breed together once the reach maturity. We have a friend that breeds Silkies and she suggested the pairing. :) Simon and Lillian took to each other right away so we are excited to see how their offspring will turn out. We have been so pleased with Simon that we have 11 eggs of his parents in the incubator right now in hopes of hatching him some siblings!

This is Kiki my Pilkie (Polish x Silkie). She is only about 8 months old and has already gone broody twice and reared 3 Wyandotte chicks. Surprisingly she is an amazing layer, even out laying my hybrid girls, which shocked me as neither Silkies or Polish are great layers. She has gone broody for a third time, so I'm planning on putting some Silkie x Wyandotte eggs under her, and I'm excited to see how they turn out!

Been reading through this thread and this is my first post This is my 3 week old white silkie mum to light sussex roo baby and my 3 day old black with black legs araucana (EE) mum to my light sussex roo baby...my other silkie is raising it lol so I keep forgetting its not silkie cross. since the father is a sussex going by what I have read here is it likely both these crosses will be girls?

Father Pure Bred light sussex father to both

mother after being in rain of the 3 day old baby has black legs

pure bred white silkie

Gosh I could look at these photos all day. Gorgeous birds on this thread. I posted pics of a four week old chick a while back. Here it is at 5 weeks. Any guesses as to gender? I think it is a silkie / EE cross. (It is the gray one). Thanks!

Luv1another,

There is usually no way to determine the outcome of the sex of chicks based on breed of parents, sex-link is the exception.The only way to determine sex is vent sexing (extremely difficult and do not try it as you may harm your chick if done wrong) and sex-linked crosses. Sex-link breeds are a result of specific breed crosses that create a different down pattern on males and females. There is only a few crosses that have this result and silkies are not one of them. You will just have to wait and see what your little ones turn out to be! Pure Silkies are notoriously hard to sex. Many people do not guarantee the sex of a Silkie until it crows or lays an egg ;)

Most sex-link breeds will not even carry the trait of the down over to the next generation. If a black sex-link roo and hen have chicks the auto sexing down pattern will no longer be apparent. You would have to breed a RIR rooster to a barred rock hen to get more black sex-links. There are a few exceptions to this, cream crested legbars do continue the auto sexing trait when you breed them, but there are very few breeds where this will work.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_link

Gosh I could look at these photos all day. Gorgeous birds on this thread. I posted pics of a four week old chick a while back. Here it is at 5 weeks. Any guesses as to gender? I think it is a silkie / EE cross. (It is the gray one). Thanks!
Very pretty birds! No clue what sex they are though. I don't see and combs or waddles screaming roo but if they have the beard/muff genes that makes sexing them by looks even more difficult.

Russian Orloff X white Silkie hen. Same parents, different coloring/markings. I have 2 with the "chipmunk" coloring, and this pale yellow-white color.

Back
Top Bottom