1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Emergency!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shelbear81, Oct 19, 2012.

1. shelbear81

shelbear81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Northeast, PA
    My silkie hen is about a year old, and she had started to act funny. She stopped laying (I know the days are getting shorter so I didnt think much of it), then she started laying around in the coop after I let them into the run in the morning, now she won't stand up. I brought her in this evening to give her a bath and found her in the coop again. When I washed her, I noticed that she had alot of scabbing on her head, I also discovered she has mites (didn't find any eggs though, but she is white so it is hard to tell), and now she won't even walk or hold her chest off the ground. She will hold her head up like normal, but not her chest.
    Someone please help me, she is such a sweet chicken, I just love her, but I also don't want her to suffer. Please if someone has any idea what is wrong!! Thanks

2. aaajjss1

aaajjss1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    how does her crop feel? give her some pol vi sol with no iron and colloidal silver 1/2 ml of each, it will not harm her and will help support her until you can figure out what is wrong

3. aaajjss1

Nov 28, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    its just my opinion I am not a vet or anything

4. shelbear81

shelbear81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Northeast, PA
    thank you so much, she is eating and drinking and she even stood for a few minutes today... I am waiting a few more days before I get too excited... I think the mites may have made her anemic...

5. aaajjss1

Nov 28, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    yay how is she doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by