silkie feather loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ash11, Oct 18, 2012.

1. ash11

ash11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    PA
    I have 2 silkies that are losing feathers only on their stomach. One only has a few feathers missing, the other one has no feathers at all on her belly. I have DE all over the coop and run. I searched them for mites and lice...couldn't see anything. My other 3 chickens are fine. The silkies are eating and drinking normally and running around so I thought maybe they are moulting? I read what I could online and it said they lose feathers on their head and back and are usually a year old. Mine are 6-7 months. So then I thought they are going broody. My silkies lay 1 egg everyday. My silkie with the bare stomach has been laying an egg every other day. Plus if she is in the nesting box and I put my hand in there she makes a weird noise and tries to peck me. But I don't think she could be broody because she doesn' stay in the nesting box she is up and around like the rest of them. It's weird though, because I can pet all my hens if they are laying in the nesting box, but that one is the only one that makes a crazy noise at me! Could she be broody, moulting or sick? Any advice would be really appreciated.. Thanks!!!

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Maybe they are "half broody." Silkies are such a broody breed, but you're right that they are not doing the whole broody thing. Broodies pluck the feathers from their bellies. That way the eggs have direct contact with a warm, slightly moist surface for incubation. I wonder if they have done this themselves.

3. ash11

Aug 14, 2012
    PA
    I don't know if they did it to themselves or not....I just wish I knew for sure what the heck is going on?! Like I said, one is totally bare and lays every other day now, and the other one has some missing and is laying normally. I guess I just have to keep waiting and watching!

4. CrystalWebb

CrystalWebb New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    Help I have a silkie that has had a neck twitch and here in the last 2 wks have started making a inferential noise then the rest of the silkie and to night when to put them to bed and found here to be missing a bunch of her feathers on her head missing. Her head feathers have had a wet look to them the last few days I figured she keep getting them wet in the water dish. But now some are gone please help I am new at this and am worried about her.thanks

5. ash11

Aug 14, 2012
    PA
    That sounds similar to what my silkie is doing....except the neck twitch. That alone would worry me. The only thing I can think of is maybe she is moulting? I wish I could help you, but I still haven't figured out what's going on with my girl. Sorry I couldn't help, best of luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by