Silkie feather questions *HOW OLD IS SHE?*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickensducks&agoose, Nov 1, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I JUST got a buff silkie hen. I'm not sure how old she is, but standing in the pen all day waiting for me to buy her, her feet got kind of crusted with poo. I gave her a bath, but couldn't get them clean, just like rocks attached to her feathers... is it okay to cut her feet feathers? How long until they grow back pretty? Also, she has regular wings, like all my other chickens. With regular feathers. Is there any other care that I need to know about this bird?

*Updated: how old do you think she is? I forgot to ask! *

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Can you give us a picture?

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Yes, you can cut her feet feathers. BUT, if you want them to grow back you have to pluck the whole feathers or wait for her to molt them. Plucking them is not as hard as it looks. And there will be some hard feathers in the wings, that's normal. Just treat her like any other chicken and she will be fine. Watch for bullying though, just in case. Especially since she's a new bird.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have never been able to pluck foot feathers. Most feathers are easy; not foot feathers.

Stand the bird in warm water that is very shallow (1/4 to 1/2") for as long as possible. Actually, you could just bathe the bird and let it drip dry in the tub (bathroom needs to be warm) for an hour or so. By then the poop/mud "concrete" should have softened enough to remove it with another washing. I recommend using dog flea/tick shampoo if the birds had gotten to this condition--can't hurt and may help. This did not happen in one day.

Post a photo and we'll help you with figuring out what is going on with the wings. My best guess without a photo is that she is pet quality.

5. chickensducks&agoose

I will post a picture after she finishes drying off after her bath. I've got her towel dried, and sitting in a tupperware in my dining room... I don't own a blow dryer, so she's got to finish by air drying in the house. She looks ridiculous. and honestly, still really, really stinks... so I can't wait to put her outside in the 'nursery', which has been abandoned since my other newbies got big enough to integrate. Thanks! I'm glad to know that her wings are supposed to be that way, i sort of imagined a silkie as being a dandelion with some bones inside and a beak on one end...

6. chickensducks&agoose

and as far as pet vs. show quality.. I paid $10 for the bird, and other than the terrible smell, feel really lucky. I wanted a silkie, and I got one... she better be a girl though [​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Put her under a heat lamp, or in a very warm spot until she is completely dry. Do not put her outside (in the cold) unless she has been dry for many hours.

If she is still stinky, you should probably give her a 2nd bath before she dires out completely. Be sure to use enough soap, and let it soak in for a few minutes before you rinse her. If you have any nice smelling shampoo or even hand soap, that will help.

8. chickensducks&agoose

[​IMG]

you sort of have to turn your head sideways.. I took it with my phone. This is after she's all dry. Her feathers still look wet, but they aren't... I don't know why.

9. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Can you take a closer pic of her face... she is looking a little "rooish" to me, but I could be wrong.

D

10. chickensducks&agoose

She'd better not be a roo... she was the 'only one I'm sure is a hen'.... so I got her... if she's a rooster, I am going to be some cranky.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by