silkie fell in the pool

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MakeMineCadburys, May 30, 2010.

1. MakeMineCadburys

MakeMineCadburys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    Southern Cali
    I rescued her right away and have dried her off as best I could and have her wrapped in a towel (oh yeah, she's happy about that! NOT!!) and in the house.

What else can/should I do for her? It's a couple of hours till dark, I'm not sure if she can go in the coop or what...

Thanks!!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Is she still wet? If so, you can use a hair dryer on her, low setting..

3. MakeMineCadburys

Jul 29, 2009
    Southern Cali
    she's damp... not dripping any more...

she now seems quite content all wrapped up - looks like she's wanting to sleep... she's not fighting the towel at all.

She is a bit broody (wants to sleep and stay in the nesting box, but when I put her out to graze, she goes)

I'm just not sure if it's ok to put her back in the coop, if she's still a bit damp, or if I should keep her in the house overnight or ... ?

She's really jumpy - if I tried to blow dry her, she might die of freaking out!!!

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    LOL!! My barred rock was startled by my dog and her leap up got her blown into the pond. She went under once came up screaming then down again before I scooped her out with a garden rake. She went screaming across the lawn apprently none the worse for the dunking and drenching. She swings wide around the pond now.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Keep her inside overnight--just to be on the safe side.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Well, considering that our nights are currently 80 degrees.....I'd put her back out in the coop for sure. Really, my chickens were all out in the rain when it was cold outside. They groom themselves drier at night. If it's reasonably warm and she's not injured, I'd put her back out.

7. MakeMineCadburys

Jul 29, 2009
    Southern Cali
    Thank you all for the reassurances - she's been in my shower and seems to be drying out ok. Just her undercarriage is still a bit damp.

It was warm outside today, but it's been very breezy and she was shivering when I had her outside.

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    And while you have her inside, the two of you should watch The Natural History of the Chicken part 3/6 I'd start it at about 5 minutes in. That segment is about a pampered silkie that swims with his owner every day. Try not to pee yourself. It's pretty funny (and kind of scary).

9. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:That movie is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!

10. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    My silkies hang outside in Michigan sleet storms! Silkies are NOT wimps!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by