silkie happy happy happy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by marvmars, Sep 6, 2010.

1. marvmars

marvmars New Egg

Apr 14, 2010
    So I got some eggs for my Silkie to hatch, she went broody on me and I finally gave up on trying to break her of it. Yesterday she hatched two little adorable chicks. So if these liitle guys end up being roosters, how long can I keep them before they start causing problems, like being too noisy and going after my hens. I live in city limits and we're not supposed to have roosters. Are roosters always obnoxious? I dont ever remember having a peaceful one when we were kids. They used to CHASE us and scare the crap out of me and my brother. Thanks for any input.

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have a bunch of month olds roosters and 2 of them started fighting the other day and got all bloody and stuff! [​IMG]
    Depends on the kind of chickens, these were half EE X Game. [​IMG]

3. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My chicks hatched in April/May and all of the cockerels are crowing now and so far there is only one of them that is causing trouble with the other chickens (he will be first on my 'freezer camp' list [​IMG] ). I see some of them "face off" with each other but no real fighting going on yet. My 2 adult roos are pretty good about breaking up fights, even between the hens.

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    i ended up with a silkie roo who is five and a half months now. i havent even gotten a crow yet and hes still acting pretty girlie. the only reason i know hes a boy is because i posted some pics of my flock and everyone made sure i knew that "Pearl" was a boy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by