Silkie hatching duck eggs...day 27

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
I think we're on day 27 anyway. The thing is, there are 5 eggs under her and they were laid by the same duck hen, so they vary in age as she lays one egg per day. Should I expect them to all hatch at once, or one a day? Also, should I allow the silkie to parent these littles or take them and put them in the brooder I have set up already?

She's really tiny, less than a year old I think, and I can't fathom how she could realistically sit on and keep warm 5 babies that will soon be bigger than she is. Here's a pic of her doing a wonderful job:
13565_broodies_004.jpg

Just for background info, the ducks have a buff mommy and a khaki campbell daddy.

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
Well, it kind of depends on your set up. Chicken momma may lose it if her "babies" jump in the water dish to swim...LOL

Are you going to sell these ducks or keep them? How tame do you want them to be? If you want them really tame, brood them yourself.

In case you haven't hatched out any khaki/buff mixes before, I wanted to give you a preview of what this duck mix looks like...

1002559.jpg

1002585t.jpg

1002739t.jpg

1002851.jpg

1002876d.jpg

This is Uno. She has a khaki dad and a buff mom. She is an obnoxious little turd sometimes, but she is really friendly and social.

Yes, I'm sure she'll be a super momma, and the ducklings are certainly arriving at a time when the weather is on their side. Still, it does get down to 50 at night still around my place and I'd hate to see her working as hard as she can to keep them all covered and not be able to do so. That's the tough part about this decision.

Awww...how cute!! That's awesome to get a preview of what they'll look like. I had no idea. What sweeties they're going to be!

I'd love for them to be tame and come when called (if ducks do that). I don't know how many I will be able to keep, likely only two or three, if I'm fortunate enough to have that many hatch out.

Any guesses as to when they'll hatch, seeing as how they are all a day apart? And do you think momma chicken will continue to sit on the eggs until they all hatch?

She's been incredibly determined to sit there so far, but I'd hate for her to get this far and then abandon ship.

I think she will be able to keep them warm if that is your big concern. They wont get huge for a week or so...plenty of time for things to warm up outside.

As for hatching time...did she start setting the first one and add to the clutch or did she wait for a small pile of eggs and THEN start setting? If she didn't set until she had a bunch, they will hatch out at the same time. You might want to have an incubator of sorts ready in case she leaves the nest after the first one hatches.

Last edited:
She didn't start setting until she had a pile of 5, so I'm happy to hear that they will all come at once. I have a brooder, but not an incubator. I hope that will do the trick!

Thanks so much for the information.

Speaking of calling ducks, My DD hatched out 4 Rouen babies (all girls I think) and named 1 Bob (she said it looked like a Bob lol). Now when she wants them to come to her she just hollers Bob Bob Bob Bob, and they come running/flying to her for treats! They even kiss her on the face when she bends down and says "kisses"! I SWEAR! It's sweet. I'll have to get a video of it to post! I'll try and get one tomorrow.
big_smile.png
P.S. Those mixed ducky babies sure are CUTE, and beautiful grown!

Last edited:
It's the same duck at different ages. She is a terrible teen right now. Her and her rouen boyfriend are driving me crazy right now. They both have to claim all the water bowls AND the pond and have been harassing the baby Welsh Harlequins. Nothing terrible, they are just being bossy and establishing pecking order. It is funny watching them puff all up and run around trying to be terrifying
gig.gif
. My older runner just goes under a tree and ignores them
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom