Silkie Hatchlings Needing help

4FB073B1-5AA2-4304-8DEA-E7832445EF94.png
50F2B783-1AEA-4957-8DF1-8383BCDB287D.png
So... Thoughts on this poly-vi-sol? Sorry! Reading, reading, & more reading. Asking because it seems to include vitamin B, vitamin E, & thiamine.
Nutri Drench is currently in my Amazon cart. But, they can't get it delivered until Monday. I would like to see if I can pick it up locally tomorrow morning when the stores open. I did order this product prior to posting here.

Last edited:
View attachment 1814793 View attachment 1814792 So... Thoughts on this poly-vi-sol? Sorry! Reading, reading, & more reading. Asking because it seems to include vitamin B, vitamin E, & thiamine.
Nutri Drench is currently in my Amazon cart. But, they can't get it delivered until Monday. I would like to see if I can pick it up locally tomorrow morning when the stores open. I did order this product prior to posting here.
I'm sorry about your chick:hugs

I would do as suggested by Eggcessive in post #9 Give 400IU daily of Vitamin E. You can give 1/4 tablet of human B-Complex to get your B1 along with some egg for Selenium.

upload_2019-6-16_15-36-27.png
upload_2019-6-16_15-36-40.png

I had a chick develop this around 4 weeks old. After a few trips to the vet for vitamin injections and multiple daily doses (vets recommendation) of oral vitamins with no improvement we had her put to sleep. It was a very bad case, she could only walk backwards and I had to hold her neck in place so that she could eat and drink. Vet said that if they develop this early on, and have been fed chick crumbs, it's likely to have been a deficiency in the mother hen. She hatched from eggs I had ordered online so had no idea what the health of the hen was.

I later learned that she should have also been given Selenium to help with the absorption of the vitamin E

I ordered these silkie eggs shipped as well. Both chicks developed severe cases within days or hours of being hatched. I'm starting to think it may have been genetic in the line because they didn't respond to any treatment & I did everything suggested. Rotating hourly for days & they showed no improvement. Heart wrenching.
Just to make you feel better. I did do the selenium... Vitamin E... & Vitamin B1(thiamine). Syringe fed yolk & water with electrolyte/probiotic/vitamin.
They were just suffering unable to eat or drink on their own. Unable to walk properly. It got to the point they didn't even want to open their beaks or eyes. They just wanted to sleep. I don't think in your case if you added the selenium it would have been any different.

I had a chick develop this around 4 weeks old. After a few trips to the vet for vitamin injections and multiple daily doses (vets recommendation) of oral vitamins with no improvement we had her put to sleep. It was a very bad case, she could only walk backwards and I had to hold her neck in place so that she could eat and drink. Vet said that if they develop this early on, and have been fed chick crumbs, it's likely to have been a deficiency in the mother hen. She hatched from eggs I had ordered online so had no idea what the health of the hen was.

I later learned that she should have also been given Selenium to help with the absorption of the vitamin E

Now... This is quite interesting. I will keep this in the back of my mind if we ever encounter again! Thank you! Orally just didn't work. :(
QUOTE="casportpony, post: 21467537, member: 151473"]Earlier this year I had two that hatched with wry neck, so I gave each one a shot of vitamin b complex for cattle, and within two hours they were 100% normal. Chick injections are tricky, so I would suggest giving it orally instead. Each of mine got about 1/10 ml.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/thiamin-deficiency
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-hi-level-vitamin-b-complex[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom