Silkie Heaven....I hope! 🤞

MOGGIELOGGINSILKIES

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2020
Hi! First time here, but I have been using this website for frequent information this year for raising my chickens 🐔. How did I get started?This Spring my husband went to our local feed store for dog food (we have to have a higher protein for our boxer) and he came home with a Happy Meal box and said, " Here! I got you some chicken nuggets." I just looked at him completely bewildered since I don't eat chicken nuggets. My cat started going bexerk and the box began to move and make scratching and faint squeaky noises. I freaked out!! I don't remember what I expected to find, but I was shocked to see 4 chicks inside-2 buff orphingtons and 2 Wyandottes. I was super excited, since I have wanted chickens forever, but also quite upset with him for such an impetuous decision. With absolutely nothing for them, we built a make-shift brooder and purchasing the basics, which meant going back to the feed store. 🤔 As you can already suspect.... my will to begin this impromptu undertaking with just the four "chicken nuggets" was not very strong when I saw the other ones, so I ended up bringing home more. For the two weeks we had 12 chicks living in our front room. After a couple weeks of cleaning the cage every day and watching them play and grow, the noise became unbearable. We converted my "she-shed" into the main coop. Since then, we added 11 more of my forever desired silkies and naked necks to my family. Ratio was 5/5. I need to "get rid" of roosters, but each one is so different in color and we have grown too attached. I grew up with a small farm so I know better, but my hubby and kids are animal lunatics.... I mean absolutely crazy!!! Now, "getting rid" of any of them is going to be a bit of an undertaking, but we will figure it out. Ultimately, I can say, I am the epitome of a "crazy chicken lady" and I love it!!! Thank you so much for this beautiful website and wonderful community. Both have given so much to the art of raising chickens and other poultry. I am quite sure I am not the only one out here who is extremely grateful for all the advice and feedback. I hope you have a healthy, safe, and Merry Christmas!

Tracy

Hello and welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!
holiday welcome.gif

Back
Top Bottom