Silkie Hen Lost All Feathers On Her Head And Chin

LupinLaneChickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Lynnwood, WA
Hello,
I have a Black Silkie that has lost all of her head feathers except three. She is still laying and running around with the other chickens (10 others) and it doesnt seem to bother her. I have been keeping a close eye on them all and she is not getting picked on by any of the other hens and I dont have a rooster. I regularly dust her with poultry dust and she doesnt seem to have any mites or lice. I have contacted the breeder because I was wondering if it could possibly be a genetic thing (suggested from research) and she has never seen anything like it. One of the other silkies is starting to loose her feathers as well. This seems to be a very slow process that has been going on for the last 3-4 months, but she just recently got this ugly! I would greatly appreciate any help with the matter, I dont want it to get any worse!

The orange color that her skin has is the iodine solution that I have been applying for the past 4 days, I have not seen any improvement but I have also not seen it get any worse.
59972_sam_0554_-_copy.jpg

She has had these three feathers for about 2 weeks.
59972_sam_0562_-_copy.jpg

1)What type of bird , age and weight. Black Silkie, 2 years old, healthy weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly. It doesn’t seem to bother her at all
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Slow loss of feathers for the past 3-4 months
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Yes, im noticing it a little bit in the other silkie
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I took her to a show last summer
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layer Crumble, fresh clean water, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I gave her Duramyacin for 4 days and then I have been putting Iodine Solution on the featherless patches for 4 days as well
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Pine Shavings, Large house type coop, 25ft x 15ft run. They are kept warm, clean and dry.

My first thought was mites. I had a rescue hen that had them so bad everything came off when I wiped her head but then I re-read where you said you used poultry dust. Maybe you should try seven or pour on ivomec in case there are mites that are resistant? I just don't know other than that.
sharon

ETA: I couldn't see anything on mine's head. Don't know if they were that small or I am that blind!

Last edited:
Are you sure she isnt getting plucked at night?, I have a little chicken that picks at the others head at night, she drives me crazy, whoever sleeps next to her in their box has a bald spot in the am and she will keep it up....she doesnt do it out of aggression at all, it seems to sooth her, she grew up with a stuffed bird and that thing is as bald as can be
tongue.png

I think I will try getting some Ivomec and see if it helps. I am a totally new with all of this and I have heard Ivomectrin and Ivomec thrown around a lot and I cant figure out if they are the same thing or just very similar?

Also, regarding the head picking at night that is a possibility, but its only on this one hen and she moves around a lot in the coop; switching pearches every night.

Quote:
Don't quote me on this but I believe they are all the same its just packaged with directions for specific animal...but I'm not 100% sure.

Back
Top Bottom