Silkie hen or roo? 15 weeks

Potentially still too early to tell but as it stands...

That's a pullet, possibly Silver Partridge type colouration if you say it's definitely grey in colour and not brown. It may be better to take some photos in natural lighting.

There is absolutely no streamers in those photos. What you are seeing is new feather growth where the white casing just hasn't fell off yet. Once that falls off the feathers will spread out. That happens with all new feathers and they can sometimes be mistaken for streamers.

Not to say it won't get streamers later down the line if it is male but right now, it doesn't have any.

Last edited:
View attachment 1928348 View attachment 1928349 View attachment 1928350 We hatched silkies early this summer for the first time. We’ve had chickens for 8 years, but first time hatching and first silkies! We didn’t have a good hatch rate and out of the 2 that hatched we sadly lost 1. That said, we have the most beautiful blue silkie (I think it’s blue... do silkies come in gray?) that we were pretty sure was a pullet, but now it looks like it has streamer feathers growing out of its crest so we are wondering if it’s really a roo?? I think it’s bearded, not much of a comb or wattles... what it does have is very dark. This silkie is 15 weeks now. Here are some pics-I don’t have one of the comb, but could if it helps!
After 3 months they start crowing. If not, then an egg will come out and it's a hen. Hens usually take 6 months to lay. So my guess is it's a girl. I don't go by the crest or the feet, so far only the second bird was a cockrel. The silkie may take more time to develop because you are training her to be friendly and tame. When she says cockledoodledo that's when you know.

We purchased show quality eggs and our other silkie that we lost was gorgeous as well!! Different color-partridge I think-we had named it Rusty, because of the coloring and planned to change it if it ended up a female. We didn’t know the gender of that one either lol

After 3 months they start crowing. If not, then an egg will come out and it's a hen. Hens usually take 6 months to lay. So my guess is it's a girl. I don't go by the crest or the feet, so far only the second bird was a cockrel. The silkie may take more time to develop because you are training her to be friendly and tame. When she says cockledoodledo that's when you know.

I only posted pics of one bird in this thread. Seems the general consensus is female, which would be better than a roo only because we already have 2 others right now! I suppose time will tell with this fluff ball ☺️

Potentially still too early to tell but as it stands...

That's a pullet, possibly Silver Partridge type colouration if you say it's definitely grey in colour and not brown. It may be better to take some photos in natural lighting.

There is absolutely no streamers in those photos. What you are seeing is new feather growth where the white casing just hasn't fell off yet. Once that falls off the feathers will spread out. That happens with all new feathers and they can sometimes be mistaken for streamers.

Not to say it won't get streamers later down the line if it is male but right now, it doesn't have any.
Yes, absolutely gray-not brown! Those pics are true to the actual coloring. Here is one from the porch the other day
819EA5B6-6349-43AB-9BDC-A6E7F62B7242.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom