Silkie - hen or roo?

annas orps

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 24, 2014
Okay so this is our first Silkie & we're not totally sure if she's a hen or roo, especially as she must be at least six months now & we've had no eggs!! When we got her two months ago we were told she was a hen but I know with Silkies it can be hard to tell. What do you think? :)

10410951_297384027131707_6108821371666040650_n.jpg

10649558_297383297131780_4983315830706878787_n.jpg

Looks like a rooster to me, since I see streamers, the wattles are large, and there are indications of sickle feathers in the tail.

I have three silkies, one we think is a roo. Can anyone help. They are about 22 wks old and no eggs as yet. thanks

Thanks for your replies, we've checked and he has spurs. So Heather is becoming Hiccup!!! He's really sweet and friendly right now, I hope he stays that way - what are Silkie roosters normally like in terms of personality?

Btw Cluckywucky, they look like girls to me (but to be honest, I don't know loads about Silkies, so may be wrong). Apparently Silkie hens often start laying quite late, some don't even start until 8 months.

My Silkie roosters are very docile and sweet. I have 3 of them in my flock right now, and they all get along and take very good care of their collective hens. They're also pretty quiet, considering I have them all living together. They never attack us and are easy to catch for snuggles, which my daughter enjoys quite a bit!

Oh that's good to know :) We have two other roosters, both Orpingtons and they're really sweet. As long as this guy stays nice then I don't mind having a third one.

We only have a dozen hens though, and I keep hearing about needing at least eight hens to a rooster - what's peoples opinions on this? We are planning to add to the flock but not until spring (with the exception of a few eggs we're hoping will hatch, but we haven't candled them yet to even know if they're fertile)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom