Silkie hen or rooster?

oballe91

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
I have a silkie chicken,and Im not sure if it is a hen or a rooster. This is my first silkie. I have two RIRs, one americauna, and two leghorns. Ive attached some pictures of my silkie. Any input would be appericiated!
[/IMG]

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. How old is your Silkie? Young Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex. I would suggest posting a full body profile of it on our What Breed and Gender is This? section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this and let our experts there help you with its gender. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your Silkies' gender identified.

Is this a hatchery bird? How old? You could also post a photo at "Silkie thread," just put that in search box and it should pop up.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Silkies are notoriously hard to sex when they're young, but in my opinion, your bird is looking like a pullet (for now).

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm leaning towards pullet, but Silkies can be hard to tell on.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sometimes you have to wait until it crows or lays an egg. Silkies can be hard to sex.

Enjoy your baby and welcome to our flock!

Thank you everybody! I am still getting the hang of using the site.

My silkie is about four and a half months old. It really doesnt grow, I purchased my silkie at a store called Lone Star Country Store. Im not sure how they aquire their birds. This is my first year raising chicken! Loving it.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes silkies are a very hard breed to sex so you'll have to continue to wait a little longer.

Back
Top Bottom