Silkie hen started to peck at water, seems to have trouble with drinking

corcordis

Hatching
Jan 31, 2023
So Pötyike, my silkie hen (10 months old) started to peck at her water (video hopefully included), and she seemingly has trouble with drinking. Otherwise she is doing fine, surprised me with an egg this morning too (though it had a tiny blood stain on it), ate mealworms, it doesn’t seem that he has coordination issues, because she is running, knows where she is going, neck isn’t slightly twisted at all, and her poop also looks fine, no discoloration, nothing. However, her having and issue with drinking worries me a lot since I have no idea what could be the cause of it. She is a bit lighter than usual, but started to gain weight recently. Her hen friend is doing fine, can drink, got extra puff because of the cold weather, only Pötyi is having issues.
Yesterday their water got frozen while I was away and I couldn’t replace it immediately as I was working, could it be the problem? They usually come to this terrace often because they know I come outside from here, so I placed a small treat-water strand next to the door while they are waiting for me, but she is doing the same with the other two larger water “can” (sorry for my english) in the garden too.
Many many thanks for any help! 🙏💛
ps. the water is yellow because it has jolovit in it (a european liquid vitamin brand for pets, I usually use it during the winter every 3-4 weeks for some immune boosting for my chickens and it’s truly great)

Are both her eyes bright and clear? Any clouding?
Bright and clear, so that’s why I don’t understand what’s wrong with her. However I just discovered a balding spot on her neck which seems to happen overnight because I almost always petting her and it wasn’t there a few days ago :(((((

So Pötyike, my silkie hen (10 months old) started to peck at her water (video hopefully included), and she seemingly has trouble with drinking. Otherwise she is doing fine, surprised me with an egg this morning too (though it had a tiny blood stain on it), ate mealworms, it doesn’t seem that he has coordination issues, because she is running, knows where she is going, neck isn’t slightly twisted at all, and her poop also looks fine, no discoloration, nothing. However, her having and issue with drinking worries me a lot since I have no idea what could be the cause of it. She is a bit lighter than usual, but started to gain weight recently. Her hen friend is doing fine, can drink, got extra puff because of the cold weather, only Pötyi is having issues.
Yesterday their water got frozen while I was away and I couldn’t replace it immediately as I was working, could it be the problem? They usually come to this terrace often because they know I come outside from here, so I placed a small treat-water strand next to the door while they are waiting for me, but she is doing the same with the other two larger water “can” (sorry for my english) in the garden too.
Many many thanks for any help! 🙏💛
ps. the water is yellow because it has jolovit in it (a european liquid vitamin brand for pets, I usually use it during the winter every 3-4 weeks for some immune boosting for my chickens and it’s truly great)
update: after a careful search, I just discovered a balding spot on the left side of her neck which seemingly happened overnight because as she is a gentle lady I always pet her, and it surely wasn’t there a few days ago. Her eyes are clear, she is alert, constantly chatting, no bugs around her vent nor on her neck (but I know we can never be sure). I thought she got dust in her nostrils from yesterday’s dust bath, but this balding spot worries me a lot. Could it be the annual molting? Or mites?

Back
Top Bottom