1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Silkie<3, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Silkie<3

Silkie<3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    This is my first post on BYC [​IMG] and here is a picture of my first chicken i would love to hear what you guys think :]
    Hen?
    [​IMG]
    Her/His name is Charlie (thought he was a boy when he/her was little O-o)

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    That is one fluffy chick I wish my silkies looked like that as for sex I can't see the face. [​IMG]

3. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I need to see a couple more pictures. I can't tell much from that one for all the fluff.

4. micayc

micayc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Centrel PA
    oh my B-A-U tiful!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Silkies will keep even experienced chicken owners guessing! LOL

One of my largest Silkies looked at me and let out a crow this morning, so I think it's safe to say that miss Breezy needs a name change. LOL

Your baby is gorgeous!

6. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I just spit out coffee. It's one thing for me to guess on the regulars but how the heck does one distinguish with this poof ball. LOL He/she is darling. Charlie is good for a boy or a girl.

7. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    I know how to sex them the males have a mo hawk and the hen have a circle of feathers on there head . I am a100% percent sure yours is a Hen ! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  8. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    I have 2 silkies, a black one, much like yours, and a gray one, Sugar and Spice. I believed from the beginning the gray was a hen and the black a rooster. The gray one always hid and slept under the black one. Both were hatched on Christmas day and I planned on a long, long wait before I ever saw an egg or heard a crow. Two weeks ago the gray laid her first egg, then laid every other day for the first week, then every day after that. But still no crow from the black one. On Monday of this week the black silky laid an egg and has been laying every other day since. Silkies just keep us guessing until they crow or lay an egg. My black still acts like a roo, doesn't squat for me, and is very much the dominant one. The gray will squat if I go any where near her, lets me hold and pet her, and is very much more submissive, BUT they both are very, very loud and talk back and forth to each other if they get out of sight of each other. They are lots of fun and their eggs are delicious, and just the right size for my grandchildren.

9. Silkie<3

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    :] thank you guys here is a pic (going outside now to get more [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

10. Silkie<3

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    Quote:Aw cant wait for my silkies to lay egg's right now i have 2 almost 18 week old silkies Charlie and Muppet (might ask you guys about him/her later :])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by