Silkie hens w/ balance issues

My roo is having very similar experiences. He has been this way for a while to where we are hand feeding him. He is our indoor chicken work 3 others (bantam serama)
I've read on the other posts about this similar issue and I'm wondering if anyone did a necropsy?

Some silkies literally have a hole in the top of their skull with only skin and feathers covering the top of the brain. If that describes your girls it's very likely they got pecked or just bumped their head and got brain damage....

Another possibility is "water on the brain." I'm not sure what the scientific name is but from what I understand an infection can cause fluid buildup in the brain, particularly with silkies that have the domed skull, which in turn causes neurological issues. If the infection is bacterial it might be treatable with antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. Just an idea... I agree that she doesn't seem like she has mareks.
What antibiotic would you use in a situation like that? On hand, I have tylan 200, tylan 50, penicillin, and LA-200

What antibiotic would you use in a situation like that? On hand, I have tylan 200, tylan 50, penicillin, and LA-200
Without knowing what is causing the infection you just have to choose the most broad-spectrum one you can find and hope for the best. Of the ones you listed I think that would be LA-200.

Do you have more silkies with the same neuro issues? If so, I think a state necropsy on the next one that dies would be the most informative and helpful thing you could do for the others.

Hello— I’ve had three Silkie hens— two roughly 8 months old (sisters) and one nearly two years old (mother) that have developed balance issues over the last 2-3 months. They’ve all been isolated & brought inside for monitoring. The first presented sort of like wry neck, but eventually she got to where she wasn’t eating or moving much at all & finally had a seizure and died.😭 The second lost her balance early (but not use of her legs or anything else) and we finally culled her this morning. So I’m left with the mama now. She first presented stumbling & weak on her feet right before thanksgiving. We began supplementing her along with the one we culled this morning with vitamins B & E based on some posts I found here. We’ve continued to supplement but she is slowly getting worse. When we first brought her inside, she could still walk some, but not anymore. I don’t know if that’s from whatever is ailing her or her muscles have atrophied. Occasionally she tries to hop? I can’t tell if it’s voluntary or involuntary movement at this point. I took a video in the hopes that it would better explain than I am.

Originally, I thought it was mareks (although I don’t know how she would’ve gotten it bc we haven’t brought any new birds in in a long time) but their ages, plus the movement in their legs and wings made me question that diagnosis. But vitamin supplements don’t seem to be working, so I don’t think it’s that…. I don’t know what else to do😩 has anyone dealt with anything like this before? Any advice is very appreciated! 🙏
YOU NEED A REALLY GOOD AVIAN VET. CHECK FOR EAR INFECTIONS. ITS VERY DIFFICULT TO FIND A REALLY GOOD AVIAN EXOTIC VET.i KNOW OF ONLY TWO IN THE ENTIRE SOUTH FLORIDA AREA THAT ARE GOOD AND ONE HAS BIG EGO AND ANGER ISSUES AND YOU HAVE TO CATCH HIM ON A GOOD DAY. THE OTHER IS A GIFT FROM HEAVEN AND IF YOU ARE IN SOUTH FLORIDA I CAN REFER YOU. STOP CULLING THE BIRDS. FIND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND OTHERS ON THIS SITE CAN BENEFIT AS WELL! I WOULD SELL MY SOUL TO PAY FOR VET CARE FOR MY CRITTERS. THEY ARE MY LIFE!

YOU NEED A REALLY GOOD AVIAN VET. CHECK FOR EAR INFECTIONS. ITS VERY DIFFICULT TO FIND A REALLY GOOD AVIAN EXOTIC VET.i KNOW OF ONLY TWO IN THE ENTIRE SOUTH FLORIDA AREA THAT ARE GOOD AND ONE HAS BIG EGO AND ANGER ISSUES AND YOU HAVE TO CATCH HIM ON A GOOD DAY. THE OTHER IS A GIFT FROM HEAVEN AND IF YOU ARE IN SOUTH FLORIDA I CAN REFER YOU. STOP CULLING THE BIRDS. FIND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND OTHERS ON THIS SITE CAN BENEFIT AS WELL! I WOULD SELL MY SOUL TO PAY FOR VET CARE FOR MY CRITTERS. THEY ARE MY LIFE!

Also, and this is my bias so if you get mad, i don't care.If you are going to be responsible for critters, you damn well better have a GOOD VET and be willing to spend the money on them. they are NOT disposable.

Back
Top Bottom