Silkie hens w/ balance issues

Landerb

Chirping
Jan 5, 2021
Corpus Christi, TX
Hello— I’ve had three Silkie hens— two roughly 8 months old (sisters) and one nearly two years old (mother) that have developed balance issues over the last 2-3 months. They’ve all been isolated & brought inside for monitoring. The first presented sort of like wry neck, but eventually she got to where she wasn’t eating or moving much at all & finally had a seizure and died.😭 The second lost her balance early (but not use of her legs or anything else) and we finally culled her this morning. So I’m left with the mama now. She first presented stumbling & weak on her feet right before thanksgiving. We began supplementing her along with the one we culled this morning with vitamins B & E based on some posts I found here. We’ve continued to supplement but she is slowly getting worse. When we first brought her inside, she could still walk some, but not anymore. I don’t know if that’s from whatever is ailing her or her muscles have atrophied. Occasionally she tries to hop? I can’t tell if it’s voluntary or involuntary movement at this point. I took a video in the hopes that it would better explain than I am.

Originally, I thought it was mareks (although I don’t know how she would’ve gotten it bc we haven’t brought any new birds in in a long time) but their ages, plus the movement in their legs and wings made me question that diagnosis. But vitamin supplements don’t seem to be working, so I don’t think it’s that…. I don’t know what else to do😩 has anyone dealt with anything like this before? Any advice is very appreciated! 🙏

Hello— I’ve had three Silkie hens— two roughly 8 months old (sisters) and one nearly two years old (mother) that have developed balance issues over the last 2-3 months. They’ve all been isolated & brought inside for monitoring. The first presented sort of like wry neck, but eventually she got to where she wasn’t eating or moving much at all & finally had a seizure and died

The second lost her balance early (but not use of her legs or anything else) and we finally culled her this morning. So I’m left with the mama now. She first presented stumbling & weak on her feet right before thanksgiving. We began supplementing her along with the one we culled this morning with vitamins B & E based on some posts I found here. We’ve continued to supplement but she is slowly getting worse.

Originally, I thought it was mareks (although I don’t know how she would’ve gotten it bc we haven’t brought any new birds in in a long time) but their ages, plus the movement in their legs and wings made me question that diagnosis. But vitamin supplements don’t seem to be working, so I don’t think it’s that…. I don’t know what else to do😩 has anyone dealt with anything like this before? Any advice is very appreciated! 🙏
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

How much vitamin E and B Complex are you giving daily?
What are you feeding?

Did the pullets present with symptoms before Mama?

Think back - any changes in feed, environment, any moldy feed, new brand of feed, getting into something like fertilizer, on ground that maybe had oil spilled on it, weed killer...anything they could have ingested like metal (nuts, bolts, screws, staples, lead shot, bb's, etc.)?

Sadly, I do agree, Silkies seem to be prone to having neurological difficulties and of course Marek's disease as well. The only way to know for sure would be if you lose another or if you still have the body of the pullet you culled and it's kept cool, you can have a necropsy through your state lab. Testing/necropsy gives the best answers.

I would continue with vitamin therapy. 400IU Vitamin E, plus 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Egg or tuna daily to help with the uptake of E. Since she's not in lay, I'd consider feeding her chick starter - this is less calcium and usually more protein than layer feed.

How heartbreaking, I wish I had better answers for you:hugs

Some silkies literally have a hole in the top of their skull with only skin and feathers covering the top of the brain. If that describes your girls it's very likely they got pecked or just bumped their head and got brain damage....

Another possibility is "water on the brain." I'm not sure what the scientific name is but from what I understand an infection can cause fluid buildup in the brain, particularly with silkies that have the domed skull, which in turn causes neurological issues. If the infection is bacterial it might be treatable with antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. Just an idea... I agree that she doesn't seem like she has mareks.

I’m dealing with this issue right now. Mama passed and now 2 of her offspring are showing “balance” issues. 2 trips to the vet and no answers except it might be Mereks.

What are all the symptoms you are seeing? Could they have gotten into something bad from a compost bed, or food that has developed mold? Sorry for your loss. If you lose another, your state vet can do a necropsy and testing if necessary to look for Mareks.
I’m dealing with this issue right now. Mama passed and now 2 of her offspring are showing “balance” issues. 2 trips to the vet and no answers except it might be Mereks.

Back
Top Bottom