silkie id'ing question

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I know this topic has been beat to death, but.......
Do female silkies combs get "full" like the roos? I have one pullet but she has an incorrect comb so I can't tell with her. I am trying to sex my 9 week olds and I can tell some of my 6 week olds because their combs are bigger and fuller (like someone inflated them). Chickenstock is less than 2 weeks away and I have to get rid of the extra roos, already have at least 2 in the banty pen
hmm.png

Krista

Your taking a serious chance by trying to sex any Silkies at only 6 to 9 weeks of age. I dont care who they are, the BEST breeders cannot EVER guarantee what they are going to be.

Your best bet is to hold on to your birds and wait until the next chickenstock comes around....

My silkies are 4 months old and I still am not certin on there sex. Silkies are a read hard breed of chicken to sex. I know of 2 roos in the bunch because there combs are in and are crowing. I am still puzzled on one because it has a comb but not a wide comb like the 2 roos i know of. Does not have wattles either that I see on the other 2 roos but. I am still not sure if its a hen or roo.

I guess I would say "not generally". The females tend to be more dainty than the males in every respect. But, having said that, the only way I know my 11 week old is a male is because he's trying to crow.
tongue.png

The only reason I ask to post a pic is because you say that they have "improper" combs; I'm assuming you mean single combs? I've found that most times in a silkie with a single comb, the comb will develop at the approximate rate of many single combed breeds and so therefore the sex can often be determined at that age.

Only one has the single comb, and she has always been shy, sweet, petite. The other silkie that hatched with her I pegged for a boy and he is. I seem to get a sense and haven't been wrong. It's weird, I feel like a chicken whisperer
lol.png
. I have a black that I have been saying boy since it was a few days old, still no crowing but I still suspect boy. I sexed all my mutts correctly and everyone told me there was no way to tell at that young age
hmm.png
If it isn't raining today I will get pics of the 9 week olds and try to get some of the younger ones. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom