Silkie Info

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
Hi! I just hatched a Blue Silkie bantam two days ago. I really want to know more about this breed. I noticed that some silkies have bigger "poofs" on their heads than others. Does this just depend on the bird? Any info would be awesome! Thanks:)

Generally the silkies from hatcheries will have smaller crests.

The breeder silkies also vary but if you buy from places like Catdance Silkies (I hatched out her eggs once and they were nice large crests) you will have better fortune.

It is the breeding!

Generally the silkies from hatcheries will have smaller crests.

The breeder silkies also vary but if you buy from places like Catdance Silkies (I hatched out her eggs once and they were nice large crests) you will have better fortune.

It is the breeding!
Oh! Okay, makes sense!:) I got my egg from mypetchicken.com...Do you know anything about them?

Yes, I have ordered from them before but I can't remember if I bought silkies from them or not. I liked them and would order again from them.
I too also really like them. I only ordered one egg because I couldn't find Silkies anywhere and they actually sent me two eggs! 1/2 hatch:) I just wrote mypetchicken asking them about it:)

Quote: For shipped eggs I get about a 50% hatch and have read that it is a fine percentage. Shipping is very rough on eggs. For local eggs I get a 100% hatch or thereabouts. Catdance Silkies (kelar on BYC) has VERY fine silkies and is in Yacolt, WA. She sells eggs here on BYC. I have hatched out her eggs before and the silkies had nice crests.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom