Silkie is Broody

diinman

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Illinois
My Coop
My Coop
I took the egg out from under her yesterday and yet she is still sitting there thinking she is sitting on an egg, lol. She usually lays an egg for me everyday but no egg yet today and she is still in the nest. I have moved her and she goes right back. Any suggestions?

Has she been sitting in the nest box since yesterday? She may be broody then. Is she acting broody?

Keep removing eggs. If she doesn't break on her own in a few days you can try to break her of her broodiness.

Or you could send her to me and I'll put her in with my THREE seramas that are all currently trying to hatch air.
roll.png

You have 2 options then. Give her some eggs to hatch or break her broodiness by placing her in a wire bottom cage for a few days, with only food and water. No nesting materials! The average in the cage is 3 days, before the hen gives up. I usually feel sorry for the hens or start thinking about cute, fluffy butts and give them lots of eggs to hatch
smile.png

i don't know if they are fertilized or not but guess we will find out. the only thing is she lays an egg for me everyday and not sure now if she will since she is sitting.

good idea. should i mark the eggs that she is laying on? i have an easter that likes to lay in the same nest. my hen is sitting on an easter and a silkie egg. would like to have some eggs to eat since i only have two hens laying right now.

Back
Top Bottom