Silkie is deathly thin!

Tara Black

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
Dover DE
So I have a silkie that I bought a few weeks ago and she was kinda small when I got her, but since she was only 16 weeks old I figured it was because she was young. Well on Monday I went to go let my babies out and she was not really going with them and just kinda stayed where she was on the ground. When I picked her up she was skin and bones under all that fluff. She hadn't been acting out of the ordinary before then either. So I brought her inside and gave her Tylon 50 in her water with Karo, Apple Cider Vinager, And Vitamins. I made her oat bran with scrambled egg and full fat Greek yogurt and she ate some and drank a bit. So I have been sticking to that routine since. I checked her feces for blood or it being runny, but it's normal. Last night I had her on my lap after dinner and was feeding her Spaetzle and asparagus and today I've had to give her a bath for pasty butt and it blowed her dry so she wouldn't be too cold. I now have her under a blanket sitting on my chest and she is breathing fine and everything, but she is so weak and doesn't seem to be getting any better. Her head slowly sinks down on my chest and all age does is sleep, and that's pretty much all she does all day. Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong? Anything else I could be doing? I tried running so searches on here but there are just so many threads and so much info and half way through everything I get to the point where someone else's situation doesn't match my own. Thanks in advance, I would be lost without you guys!

So I have a silkie that I bought a few weeks ago and she was kinda small when I got her, but since she was only 16 weeks old I figured it was because she was young. Well on Monday I went to go let my babies out and she was not really going with them and just kinda stayed where she was on the ground. When I picked her up she was skin and bones under all that fluff. She hadn't been acting out of the ordinary before then either. So I brought her inside and gave her Tylon 50 in her water with Karo, Apple Cider Vinager, And Vitamins. I made her oat bran with scrambled egg and full fat Greek yogurt and she ate some and drank a bit. So I have been sticking to that routine since. I checked her feces for blood or it being runny, but it's normal. Last night I had her on my lap after dinner and was feeding her Spaetzle and asparagus and today I've had to give her a bath for pasty butt and it blowed her dry so she wouldn't be too cold. I now have her under a blanket sitting on my chest and she is breathing fine and everything, but she is so weak and doesn't seem to be getting any better. Her head slowly sinks down on my chest and all age does is sleep, and that's pretty much all she does all day. Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong? Anything else I could be doing? I tried running so searches on here but there are just so many threads and so much info and half way through everything I get to the point where someone else's situation doesn't match my own. Thanks in advance, I would be lost without you guys!

I would suspect either Coccidiosis (despite there being no blood in her droppings--only a few strains of Coccidia cause that) or worms. To treat Coccidiosis, get Corid 9.6% liquid or 20% powder from a livestock supply store (its usually sold for cattle). The Corid liquid dosage is 2 teaspoons liquid per gallon of water, and the powder dosage is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Treat for 5-7 days, and change the water daily. Do not give vitamins in the water, as they will interfere with the Corid.

Even if you begin treating for Coccidiosis, I would still purchase a wormer and worm your bird--she obviously needs help now, and there isn't enough time to experiment with treatments. I would recommmend a broad-spectrum wormer like SafeGuard, Valbazen, or the Worminator (contains Flubenvet and is what I use). In a pinch, though, you could use Wazine; I just don't recommend it because it only works on roundworms. You can usually find wormers at a livestock supply store, and you can purchase the Worminator from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584

Also, I would stop the Tylan50. I don't think she has an infection; all the Tylan is doing is depleting her energy. But if you do continue, get rid of the Apple Cider Vinegar and vitamins in the water, as they can neutralize the Tylan and make it useless. (or at least that is what I've heard/read). Once you stop Tylan (as long as you aren't giving Corid), I would definitely give ACV and vitamins, though.

Its urgent that your bird starts eating. Encourage her to eat by giving foods like scrambled eggs, applesauce, moistened feed, bread, etc. If she won't eat, try mixing some feed with water to form a soup. Hold a spoon filled with the "soup" to your Silkie's beak and push upward; most of the time this will cause the bird to begin slurping up the liquid. But a better option, if you can find the supplies, is to tube feed. This could very well save your Silkie's life.

Here are some tube feeding links: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/722041/how-to-t-feed-a-sick-chicken-and-give-subcutaneous-fluid
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...h-my-bird-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post

Hope I've helped! I'm afraid that the future is rather grim for you pullet, though. Still, good luck with her!

Last edited:
My first guess would be Coccidiosis. Your bird is a little old for it, but since she was recently introduced into a new enviroment, she could still get it. I'd get some Corid, either powder or liquid, and begin treatment. The dosage for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, and the dosage for the powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give Corid for five days; you should see improvement by the third day. While giving Corid, don't give dairy products like yogurt, or any Apple Cider Vinegar.

Another guess would be worms. Worms can cause lethargy and weight loss. I'd get some Safeguard or Valbazen dewormer (Safeguard preferably, as its safer). These two wormers are broad spectrum, and should get rid of any worms if she has them. Its usually not a good idea to worm sick birds, but in this case, it might be one of the only things that can save her. Here is some information on Safeguard and Valbazen dewormer dosages:

Safeguard paste (post #2 has the dosages): https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/416541/how-do-i-treat-with-safeguard
Safeguard liquid (go to post #3): https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/640369/capillaria-eggs-dosing-for-safeguard-10-liquid-form-needed

Valbazen:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/401475/worming-with-valbazen (go to post #2)

In the meantime, you need to get her to eat and drink enough, and keep her energy up. Try offering her some scrambled egg or raw egg. Some moistened chicken feed is also a good idea. Give applesauce and yogurt, and really anything that she will eat (unless giving Corid, in which case don't give yogurt). Get some electrolytes and vitamins if you can, and maybe some probiotics.

You may need to tube feed her, so here is a link:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/722041/how-to-t-feed-a-sick-chicken-and-give-subcutaneous-fluid I've never done it myself, so I can't help your personally. Still, the link should help if you decide to do it.

Stop the Tylan. If it hasn't done any good yet, it isn't working. Her symptoms do not seem like those caused by a bacterial infection. And, I don't think that you should be putting in vitamins or ACV, as I think they can interfere with the Tylan.

Good luck, and hope this helps! Keep us updated!

Last edited:
She didn't make it. She started throwing up everything I managed to get into her and them fluid built up in her lungs and she just stopped breathing :'(

She didn't make it. She started throwing up everything I managed to get into her and them fluid built up in her lungs and she just stopped breathing :'(

I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
You did everything you could.

Back
Top Bottom