Silkie just hatched, have a ? about it's head....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steffpeck, Apr 13, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I just had my 2nd silkie hatch, and the 2nd ones head looks totally different than the 1st one. The 2nd one almost looks like it has a goosebump on the top of it, where the other one looks like a normal head. What does this mean??

2. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    It means Nothing :)

Silkies can have an open skull. They can be prone to head injuries if pecked on the top of the head.

Some think you have a better chance of haveing a huge crest as adults when they hatch with top knots.
    BUT from hatching countless hundreds of silkies I can tell you this is not always true.

:)

I love silkie chick pictures - Take some to share with us.

3. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies :

It means Nothing :)

Silkies can have an open skull. They can be prone to head injuries if pecked on the top of the head.

Some think you have a better chance of haveing a huge crest as adults when they hatch with top knots.
    BUT from hatching countless hundreds of silkies I can tell you this is not always true.

:)

I love silkie chick pictures - Take some to share with us.

Thanks!​

4. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Your silkie is fine! Actually, it may turn out to have a better crest as an adult if it has a topnot like Polish when it hatches. Silkies are so cute!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by