Silkie Maran

Ashleyboz

Songster
Oct 27, 2023
Our little blue silkie rooster finagled his way into our big commingled hen pen! We have what’s clear a lot of blue sikies from the silkie moms but what I thought was the BCM eggs turned out to be silkie looking too. So I’m assuming blue silkie is the dad too obviously. What can we expect to have as far as genetics go? Sex linked anyway? Silkies Marans? Feathers like a Maran and not silked? I’m excited and super curious! Everyone has 5 toes and black feet. The black chicks have yellow tips on feathers and some yellow from chin to belly. They also have a white skin color on tips of toes if that helps at all.

Attachments

• IMG_8726.jpeg
    IMG_8726.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8731.jpeg
    IMG_8731.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8741.jpeg
    IMG_8741.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8742.jpeg
    IMG_8742.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 7
All the silkie mixed babies are going to have smooth feathes and be recessive silkie, meaning if you breed them together or to another silkie or silkie feather carrying bird you'll get silkie feathers.
Your chicks should all have black skin and blue earlobes, these are both dominat genes, along with some having small crest and small beards/muffs, also dominate genes. Feathered feet and 5 toes are also dominate. 5 toes have more genetics with them but im unfamiliar with those genes.
Breeding black to blue gives you 50%blue 50% black.

All the silkie mixed babies are going to have smooth feathes and be recessive silkie, meaning if you breed them together or to another silkie or silkie feather carrying bird you'll get silkie feathers.
Your chicks should all have black skin and blue earlobes, these are both dominat genes, along with some having small crest and small beards/muffs, also dominate genes. Feathered feet and 5 toes are also dominate. 5 toes have more genetics with them but im unfamiliar with those genes.
Breeding black to blue gives you 50%blue 50% black.
That’s exactly what I wanted to know! I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom