Silkie & Mix somethingerother???

The bird in the OP is a silkie mix, but is not crossed with another crested or featherleg breed. The crest is too small and the leg feathers are too sparse, so it's not silkie x sultan.

I agree with LilPeeps and Dustin Biery. Crossed to a crested breed the crest would be significantly larger/fuller. Same for foot feathering.

Also, the OP says she lays a white egg--that pretty much rules out a cross with anything that does not.

Silkies carry the rose comb gene; many also carry the pea comb gene. This particular bird does not, it could have lot it in the cross (indicating that the silkie parent either did not carry pea, or only had one copy, and did not pass that one on. This does not look like the ones I have had that had the sort of split single comb.

I believe this bird probably carries a copy of rose comb gene, and possibly a copy of buttercup.

all chickens can come out with silkie feathering either way i have seen many full breed Cochins have silkie feathers i still think its a sultan mix with some silkie feathering... the white eggs maybe from a leghorn gene....

Last edited:
Quote:
The bird does not have silkie feathering. What everyone is referring to is that it is a silkie (the breed, not just the gene) mix.

In order for a bird to have silkie (the gene) feathering, they must carry two copies of the recessive gene. It does not spontaneously appear without the gene present.

Leghorn is not a gene, it's a breed.

Last edited:
I am going to have to go with lilPeeps on this one.

The crest is to small to have it been mixed with another breed with a large crest.
Even with the feathers. you can tell it is a silkie cross.
Silkies have more of a mulberry comb. and polish or sultans have more of a horn shaped comb. You can tell more that it has a mix of a normal silkie comb and a single comb. Something like a rosecomb. I have seen silkie x polish crosses and that bird looks nothing like it. More of Leghorn silkie cross
My guessing though

She is sooooo cute! awww... Your a lucky ducky!

Back
Top Bottom