Silkie mix with discharge and maybe blocked vent? Gray, pasty discharge (no yellow or clear)

Kirkland

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Soy (silkie mix hen probably 9 months) was acting quiet this morning, eating OK, but wobbly on her feet. On inspection she has a pasty, almost sandy discharge from her vent and maybe tissue blocking or protruding from it. A tiny bit of blood or injured tissue. I would suspect she were egg bound expect there is no yellow or clear discharge or shell. It appears to be sudden onset. I really would like to help her. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

If you think she might be egg bound you can give them oyster shells to help make the shells stronger so it won't break inside them... It won't do any harm... I always have some available for my chickens. You need to clean the poop off her but because if its blocking the vent then she won't be able to go to the washroom any more... Sounds like egg bound to me... But I'm no pro at that... If you want to inject some oil into her to help the egg pass easier...pls replie to tell me how your chicken is

I have had this happen to my chicken you can just give them ground up egg shells or oyster shells so that they can get enough calcium to build up the egg shell!
Good Luck!
goodpost.gif

i have a rhode island red that i noticed today had a whitish/grey pastey substance in her vent area running down her back end feathers,but also had a red cyst like ball at vent entrance. noted to have spotting of blood in pen and on one of the eggs yesterday in coop. i have no idea what this is or how i can help her.

Thank you for the tip on cleaning the vent area. I was suprised how relaxed my chicken was in warm water. So far the vent area looks better. Still has a small amount of whitish discharge. Redness gone.
Thank you.
Susan Thompson

Back
Top Bottom