Silkie mixes 🤔

The Witte Fam

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2023
Victoria TX
Has anyone crossed a buff silkie with either a belgian d'uccle or white crested black polish? I have a broody silkie and those are the 2 possibilities for dad. Just curious to see what the babies could look like. 🥰

Has anyone crossed a buff silkie with either a belgian d'uccle or white crested black polish? I have a broody silkie and those are the 2 possibilities for dad. Just curious to see what the babies could look like. 🥰
What color d'Uccle? If it is Mille Fleur color, the chicks will probably be buff, with a possibility of some black in their tails and hackles.

Crossing that hen with the White Crested Black Polish will probably give black chicks, although they may have some leakage of white or buff/gold/red. I'm not sure if their crests will be white or black or mixed.

What color d'Uccle? If it is Mille Fleur color, the chicks will probably be buff, with a possibility of some black in their tails and hackles.

Crossing that hen with the White Crested Black Polish will probably give black chicks, although they may have some leakage of white or buff/gold/red. I'm not sure if their crests will be white or black or mixed.
The d'uccle is black and white. Do you think it would be fluffy like the momma or slick like the dad? Idk which gene would be dominant.

The d'uccle is black and white.
If the d'Uccle is black with white mottling (white dots), crossing him with a Buff Silkie will probably produce black chicks. There is a chance of the chicks being white, because some buffs have a gene that turns black into white (if the Buff Silkie has some black feathers in her tail, you can expect black chicks. If she has some white feathers in her tail, expect white chicks and maybe black chicks. If the Buff Silkie is completely buff all over, with no black and no white visible, then you will just have to wait and see the chicks.)

Do you think it would be fluffy like the momma or slick like the dad? Idk which gene would be dominant.

The silkie feather gene is recessive. All chicks should have normal feathers (like what both fathers have.) But crest and extra toes are dominant, so the chicks should have those traits no matter which rooster is their father. Muff/beard is dominant too, so if either parent has that, the chicks might also.

If the d'Uccle is black with white mottling (white dots), crossing him with a Buff Silkie will probably produce black chicks. There is a chance of the chicks being white, because some buffs have a gene that turns black into white (if the Buff Silkie has some black feathers in her tail, you can expect black chicks. If she has some white feathers in her tail, expect white chicks and maybe black chicks. If the Buff Silkie is completely buff all over, with no black and no white visible, then you will just have to wait and see the chicks.)

The silkie feather gene is recessive. All chicks should have normal feathers (like what both fathers have.) But crest and extra toes are dominant, so the chicks should have those traits no matter which rooster is their father. Muff/beard is dominant too, so if either parent has that, the chicks might also.
Thanks so much for the information. 😁 Lmk if you would be interested in seeing what the baby comes out looking like and I will post a picture. Their due date is on the 20th.

Thanks so much for the information. 😁 Lmk if you would be interested in seeing what the baby comes out looking like and I will post a picture. Their due date is on the 20th.
Yes, I would definitely be interested in seeing how the baby looks.
Cute chick photos are always fun!

Back
Top Bottom