1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Mutts, right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickTucson, Oct 5, 2013.

1. ChickTucson

ChickTucson Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    So these guys fly, so that is clue one that they aren't really Silkies. Their wing feathers were completely developed when they were 3 days old and they were fluttering to the top of their brooding box, while the RRs and Ancona of the same age just had fluffy stump wings. They're only a couple months old and they began crowing already!

We adopted them from a flock that had a black Silkie rooster, so that part makes sense. Other birds in the flock included Turkens, Cochens, a Pea Hen and maybe a BR, also a white Silkie female.

There may have been other breeds in there, but the flock was somewhat small.

Anyway, what do you think they could be in addition to Silkie?

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that they have some Cochin in them along with the Silkie. This is because of the comb color (red--silkies have purplish black combs), and the overall appearance.

3. ChickTucson

ChickTucson Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    Thank you. I suspected that the Cochen may have been their mother. They don't look much like Turkens from what I can tell.

4. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I think cochin too. They are very pretty boys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by