silkie nesting

1 Critter Camp

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 26, 2013
Kentuckky
I am new to raising chickens... I have invested in a chicken coop and then spent money to add a run and reinforce the coop to protect from predators. My area to move and run, etc. is larger than the nesting/shaded area. The two silkies I have, both hens I think, just nest on the ground underneath where the nesting area is.
I think I read that silkies don't roost but I thought that they would at least go into the covered area and rest at night... are they ground dwelling birds??

THANKS!

You need to teach them where you want them to be at night. Easiest is to close them inside for several days, then let them our about an hour or so before they typically start settling in for the night, After a couple of days, you should be able to let them loose to enter and exit as they please. Alternatively, you could put them in every night--that will probably take longer.

thanks, I had placed them in the closed area a few times but they seemed so resistant that I didn't keep it up. I do have it to where the front is reinforced wire so it is safe.
I will keep closing them up in the nesting box each night, I always let them free roam during the day and put them in the coop during the night but not the nesting section...
I ordered eggs off Ebay and should have eggs hatching in 6 days :)
My two hens should have buddies soon

Back
Top Bottom