Silkie not using one leg

3qkate

Chirping
Aug 9, 2020
I have a silkie that will not take weight on one leg. This has been going on for longer than I'd like to admit. We've been keeping an eye on her to make sure no one is picking on her and they are not. I'm not aware of any injury. She is otherwise doing really well. She looks healthy, and is consistently laying eggs. Any advice on what I need to do for her? I'm assuming I should bring her in to the vet? Of course when I did a search, Marek's came up so this concerns me. Any advice is welcomed!

Hi there, I'm sorry about your hen. How is the leg positioned? Have you checked her hip over to see if it could be out of socket?
The leg is positioned typically, except she keeps it just barely off of the ground. She will move it around typically also, just really guarded. She will balance with her wing when she takes steps. From what I can feel, it doesn't seem to be out of the socket but I don't want to push too hard.

Thanks for the article! I can't feel or see any swelling but I'll check it out again.
How long have you had this particular bird and when was the last time you brought any other birds home?

How long have you had this particular bird and when was the last time you brought any other birds home?
I got her last summer, no one new since then. I got her in a trio, and she's the only one with this issue.

Back
Top Bottom